Mandarin Dragonet advice

Cajunfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reason why a mandarin would all of a sudden start swimming at the top of the tank and going up and down the glass and not interested in eating? Parameters are all within range, 10% water change done weekly, and we get a weekly shipment of pods and also supplement with a bottle of Tigger Pods because that’s what our LFS recommended. He’s been fine for the past month, swimming all over the rocks pecking at pods and today he started acting weird. He doesn’t seem stressed, just not acting normal. I messaged my LFS because they are really good but they’re closed today so I’m not sure when they’ll read my message and I’m just trying not to get worked up if it’s nothing. And google hasn’t given me any insight either, so I’m trying here. Thanks in advance.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in the tank?
Is he taking frozen?
Is he fat?

OP
OP
Cajunfishlady

Cajunfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has he been in the tank?
Is he taking frozen?
Is he fat?

We’ve had him for a month, bought him from Algae Barn. He was very small and skinny when we got him but our LFS said that’s usually how they come. He’s only about an inch long. Algae Barn says they are trained to eat frozen but he hasn’t eaten any frozen that I’ve seen. He will eat the bottled Reef Nutrition Tigger Feast though. And I’ve been getting a weekly shipment of live pods because I am paranoid. He still looks very skinny though and today I tried spot feeding him 3 different foods while he was sitting on a snail at the top of the tank but he wasn’t interested. I’m bummed- I guess he’s probably not going to make it. [emoji17]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve had him for a month, bought him from Algae Barn. He was very small and skinny when we got him but our LFS said that’s usually how they come. He’s only about an inch long. Algae Barn says they are trained to eat frozen but he hasn’t eaten any frozen that I’ve seen. He will eat the bottled Reef Nutrition Tigger Feast though. And I’ve been getting a weekly shipment of live pods because I am paranoid. He still looks very skinny though and today I tried spot feeding him 3 different foods while he was sitting on a snail at the top of the tank but he wasn’t interested. I’m bummed- I guess he’s probably not going to make it. [emoji17]
Your at the hard part for a Mandy. Don’t fret yet.
The hard part is the selection of foods on hand. Those fish are like cats. They eat what they want. Lol.
I wouldn’t sweat the behavior yet. Make sure to keep an eye out for bullies.

The behavior I don’t think is a worry yet. My big fatso likes to look at himself and pick bugs off the glass.
Maybe he just found the mirror.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone local has nutrimar ova , jump on it.
Frozen baby brine, frozen Rotifers , PE mysis.
If there is a freshwater fish store , ask for black worms. Sometimes white worms will do as well.

If you have a fuge , pull an easy rock out or some chato and put it in the DT.

OP
OP
Cajunfishlady

Cajunfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anyone local has nutrimar ova , jump on it.
Frozen baby brine, frozen Rotifers , PE mysis.
If there is a freshwater fish store , ask for black worms. Sometimes white worms will do as well.

If you have a fuge , pull an easy rock out or some chato and put it in the DT.

Ok I’ll try not to panic yet, lol. I’ll definitely go after work tomorrow to my saltwater store and get some more foods for him to try. I also messaged them on Facebook because they are so very helpful and never make anyone feel stupid no matter what the question is, but since they’re closed on Mondays I’m not expecting them to answer until tomorrow.
My tank is an all in one with a fuge in the back and I have poured pods in it every week when I get them so I’ll see if there’s a rock I can put into the DT. I was looking into getting chaeto but Algae Barn had a wait list- not sure if my local store has any but I’ll ask. A friend of mine also said that’s what he does in his DT.

OP
OP
Cajunfishlady

Cajunfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you target feeding him
Mine eat frozen brine as long as the food is in sight

I hadn’t target fed him because he has been pecking around since I got him and the owner of the local saltwater store said as long as he’s pecking around, he’s eating something. Today was the first day that he was swimming at the top and not pecking at all.

OP
OP
Cajunfishlady

Cajunfishlady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hadn’t target fed him because he has been pecking around since I got him and the owner of the local saltwater store said as long as he’s pecking around, he’s eating something. Today was the first day that he was swimming at the top and not pecking at all.

Well, lo and behold, lights went out and he wasn’t at the top anymore. Looked around with a flashlight and he was chillin on the bottom. So maybe he was seeing his reflection like you said. Maybe I’ll leave the lights off and just open the blinds and let the natural light in tomorrow and see what he does. I sincerely appreciate all of the help so far! And I’ll still get some other foods for him [emoji6]

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, lo and behold, lights went out and he wasn’t at the top anymore. Looked around with a flashlight and he was chillin on the bottom. So maybe he was seeing his reflection like you said. Maybe I’ll leave the lights off and just open the blinds and let the natural light in tomorrow and see what he does. I sincerely appreciate all of the help so far! And I’ll still get some other foods for him [emoji6]
Youre welcome! Sounds like you got this.
Even though they are tank raised , they do have instinct and personality.
And that’s just a wee babe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back