Mandarin feeder help

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just checked these out, it seems their purpose is to scoop up the shrimp and hold them in the net. In a feeder it is my understanding that the mesh should be big enough that the shrimp should be able to squeeze through but it should be difficult for them. I would think that mesh is gonna be too small.

I think the mandarin is supposed to suck them through, which it seems like they should be able to do. But yeah, I get your point, I just don’t know what the perfect size is and given the fact that brine shrimp change size during the first 24 hours, it seems it would be hard to find a “perfect” mesh size.

Did you try reaching out to PaulB? I think I’ve seen him post recently.

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the mandarin is supposed to suck them through, which it seems like they should be able to do. But yeah, I get your point, I just don’t know what the perfect size is and given the fact that brine shrimp change size during the first 24 hours, it seems it would be hard to find a “perfect” mesh size.

Did you try reaching out to PaulB? I think I’ve seen him post recently.
I'm in the exact same boat as you. I tagged Paul at the beginning of this post but I imagine he gets tagged alot all day...

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
poss pm him?? ;)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
bet he replies rt away ;)if not first thing in morn:)

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
did you???

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally don't wear panty hose and apparently my wife doesn't either. We'll have to go pick some up this week!
Lol following along. Hope it works. Maybe it takes some time for the mandarin to learn there’s food there for him.

NaturalGothic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonet Gobies are notoriously picky eaters which is what makes them so hard to keep alive. Honestly, your best bet are live copepods. They love to eat them and do best in a well established tank where copepods nest/breed.

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonet Gobies are notoriously picky eaters which is what makes them so hard to keep alive. Honestly, your best bet are live copepods. They love to eat them and do best in a well established tank where copepods nest/breed.
Well you're not wrong (aside from them being dragonets and not gobies that is)...but Paul's been doing this for like 40 something years at this point. I can personally attest to it working for a mandarin dragonet in a 10 gallon.

Kenny, did you try to age the mesh? Sometimes the fish won't go near the super clean mesh, so you have to give it a few days for it to not be so bright and clean. Also, sorry to hear about the RO mesh. It might be that some of the meshes are too fine for BBS and others are the perfect size. It's definitely not something that you can stretch (and I had to wrestle with it to get it to fit on a cup. Although now I wonder if I could heat it up to get the mesh size to go up....

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarin dragonet like whatever they can eat. Yes they graze all day. And copepods are something you should have in your tank so they can do this BUT there are plenty of CB dragonets that are trained to eat frozen food. Mine trained herself. She has a plethora of copepods but she eats frozen food I put in the tank for my clown. The idea here is to give them a varied diet so they keep that fat belly we like.

I want to do this bbs thing. Guess I need to buy some pantyhose . And thank you @ichthyogeek for the idea of aging it. Guess when I get it I’ll stick some in my fuge for a bit and get it all stinky

OP
OP
xxkenny90xx

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well you're not wrong (aside from them being dragonets and not gobies that is)...but Paul's been doing this for like 40 something years at this point. I can personally attest to it working for a mandarin dragonet in a 10 gallon.

Kenny, did you try to age the mesh? Sometimes the fish won't go near the super clean mesh, so you have to give it a few days for it to not be so bright and clean. Also, sorry to hear about the RO mesh. It might be that some of the meshes are too fine for BBS and others are the perfect size. It's definitely not something that you can stretch (and I had to wrestle with it to get it to fit on a cup. Although now I wonder if I could heat it up to get the mesh size to go up....

I didn't really age the mesh. I'd leave the feeder in the tank for a week at a time but it would fill with so many dead stinky shrink I'd have to pull it and clean it. Paul corrected me on that one and said not to clean it so thoroughly so it can get dirty like you said.

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a knee high pantyhose stocking. Found this actually by mistake. I had to buffer the flow from one of my outputs so I put media in a stocking, tied it down and laid it on the overflow. In a few weeks the coepods had made a hatchery. Thousands....

pbrown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a knee high pantyhose stocking. Found this actually by mistake. I had to buffer the flow from one of my outputs so I put media in a stockingtied it down and laid it on the overflow. In a few weeks the coepods had made a hatchery. Thousands....

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back