Mandarin food supplement

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all finally got a Mandarin after 2 years of waiting and letting the tank settle. Also was told about this "magical" food called nutramar ova got a packet of that too. Mandarin loves it besides eating the pods. My question is how long I can leave it in the bottle in the tank. See pics below.

IMG_20170130_191642.jpg

IMG_20170130_191513.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the Nutrimar is in the bottle and the mandy is in there eating it? I think the mandy will eat it all, then you can just take it out and put more in tomorrow.

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup its already half gone, mandy and others are enjoying it. I thought i put a lot in there but he is eating it. Lets see how it goes

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this nutramar a good food for scooter blenny's too?
from experience yes. But maintain a rounded diet. For mandarins as well. I had one Mandy that once acclimated to the OVA didn't respond well to other frozen foods. Once ova was discontinued his healt began to fail. And yes I had more pods and bugs than you could shake a stick at.
IMO IME use the feeder the introduce frozen foods, all frozen foods. Keeping feeders in mind as a conditioning regimen not just nutritional exercise .

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am planing to do is to mix some LRS Reef Frenzy and OVA and feed the mandy everyday so he gets used to other foods. and then eventually introduce pallets and Dr tims food in the mix.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I am planing to do is to mix some LRS Reef Frenzy and OVA and feed the mandy everyday so he gets used to other foods. and then eventually introduce pallets and Dr tims food in the mix.
try baby brine and capellini roe if its big enough for them. the mandy will probably not eat reef frenzy. Mandys are bug eaters not fish eaters. none of my dragonets have taken to it.

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try baby brine and capellini roe if its big enough for them. the mandy will probably not eat reef frenzy. Mandys are bug eaters not fish eaters. none of my dragonets have taken to it.
Hummm, maybe I will get some more packs of ova, in case they run out. I have seen ppl in YouTube feeding pallets to the mandarins too.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hummm, maybe I will get some more packs of ova, in case they run out. I have seen ppl in YouTube feeding pallets to the mandarins too.
Every fish is different. Its the food conditioning in captivity. My current Mandy eats everything but pellets and fish.

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin and blenny are quite thin,they both eat live and frozen but im buying live at the moment due to not having a good pod population. Any ideas on how to boost population. My tank is only 7months old, they were an impulse buy without doing my research.

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mandarin and blenny are quite thin,they both eat live and frozen but im buying live at the moment due to not having a good pod population. Any ideas on how to boost population. My tank is only 7months old, they were an impulse buy without doing my research.
To boost up pod population you have to dose phytoplankton, which I do. I usually get it from algebarn. But I understand that one can culture their own.

PetuniaTheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying live copepods? Algaebarn sells lots of copepods for pretty cheap and they come with phytoplankton that will give your pod population something to eat.
I got some from local vendor, marinedepot had some too
Thanks! Might order some for my mandarin, he is doing ok but omega brine shrimp and cyclops isn't a good diet for him. How large are the 100g packages? Don't want to run out really quickly.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.6%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.7%
Back