Mandarin food supplement

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose once a month,should I increase and how long does it last in the fridge?

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im buying pods and brine shrimp and I have just started growing my own brine shrimp.

PetuniaTheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dose once a month,should I increase and how long does it last in the fridge?
How large is your tank and how many do you dose? I think a bag of pods last roughly two weeks in the fridge according to the packaging. Might be wrong.

kenny80

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv got a 30g tank with 15g sump and dose 1ml/gallon,how long does phyto last?

PetuniaTheCat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd guess a month but I've read that phytoplankton isn't super important and is sort of overrated. I still like putting it in from time to time

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True, the manufacturer says 2 years freezer time.

I wouldn't keep it that long. Even when perfectly sealed and at good temperatures rancidity can set it. Not only does that but harmful components into the food, but some of these components degrade/negate the goodness.

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buying live copepods? Algaebarn sells lots of copepods for pretty cheap and they come with phytoplankton that will give your pod population something to eat.

Thanks! Might order some for my mandarin, he is doing ok but omega brine shrimp and cyclops isn't a good diet for him. How large are the 100g packages? Don't want to run out really quickly.

I will upload pic when i get home

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv got a 30g tank with 15g sump and dose 1ml/gallon,how long does phyto last?
phyto from algebarn has a approx 30 day expiration time when stored in the fridge, depends on what brand of phyto you are using or if you are making your own.

laga77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 pairs of Dragonets. Ova is a great food for them when you can get it. LRS also sells fish eggs that mine eat. The best food to feed them is live black worms or white worms. I like the white worms better because they will last a couple of days in SW where the black worms die in 10 seconds. There is nothing like a wiggling worm to get a picky eater to strike. White worms can be a PITA to culture, whereas I have a black worm keeper so I only have to buy them once every 2 weeks. If you are serious about feeding them, kill the current in the tank and target feed the worms with a coral feeder right in front of them.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To boost up pod population you have to dose phytoplankton, which I do. I usually get it from algebarn. But I understand that one can culture their own.

What size tank do you have and how to you dose the phyto? How much and how often.. i started dosing zoo, just wanna make sure im on the right track.

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get the nutramar? Maybe my mandarin would like it.
IMG_20170131_165556.jpg

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have and how to you dose the phyto? How much and how often.. i started dosing zoo, just wanna make sure im on the right track.
40gal cube with 15 gal refugium no Cheeto just live rocks. 25 ml per week spread throughout the week. The phytoplankton is from algebarn.

CoralNerd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oops More fancy food. Has anyone tried that on mandarins?
There is a video of the Mandrin eating off it on their Facebook page. I recently got a Mandrin and he's been happy eating pods for over a week. I just tried putting Masstik on the rock today so I can't confirm it yet. [emoji121]

OP
OP
sonubhai

sonubhai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a video of the Mandrin eating off it on their Facebook page. I recently got a Mandrin and he's been happy eating pods for over a week. I just tried putting Masstik on the rock today so I can't confirm it yet. [emoji121]
Cool let me know how it works out. I have become a fish food hoarder lately. [emoji1]

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 149 40.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 189 50.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 33 8.9%
Back