Mandarin goby question.

Byrd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for reefers with experience in keeping a mandarin goby fat and happy without supplementing them with frozen or adding pods monthly. I have a 280g display with twin 30g sumps. One sump has a 20g fuge with 2 8x8x4 marinepure blocks and the other is nothing but a cheato ball. The display is estimated to have 200lbs of homemade live rock that is very porous and lots of cover for pods. Right now i have tons of pods when you scan the sand, overflow boxes, and sumps. Not sure what kind they are but some are tiny red ones and some are slightly larger and white. So my question is, could i support a mandarin goby without supplementing pods and if so, how many do you think could be supported safely.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You said 280 gallons? I have 2 red draggonets in a 210, seems to be plenty to eat ... I’m gonna say 2-3 for sure ...maybe 4-6 ... I’ve noticed macro algae helps with the food chain

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure you can have a pair of Mandarin. No problem.
If you want just 1 get a male, otherwise get a pair. Their courtship and spawn is fun to see.
Male display all the time in the late afternoon to attract the Female
Mandarin2019010603.jpg
Mandarin2019010607.jpg

My female here is full of eggs. She will spawn that evening.
Mandarin2019012401FatFemale.jpg

OP
OP
B

Byrd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes its a 280. I was hoping yall was going to say i could support them no problem because ive wanted some for a long time. Could i do a pair of mandarin and a pair of ruby reds?

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept 2 mandarins each in thier own 10g w/lots of macro algae’s so I’m gonna say I’d give em about 1 sq ft ea ... dumb metric, yeah, but for our purposes here just for guesstimates ...
mixing? I dunno, the dragonnettes seem less territorial/aggressive towards each other
edit; add ... to give you an idea: I put my two mandrins in a 150g, now there’s 1

OP
OP
B

Byrd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I kept 2 mandarins each in thier own 10g w/lots of macro algae’s so I’m gonna say I’d give em about 1 sq ft ea ... dumb metric, yeah, but for our purposes here just for guesstimates ...
mixing? I dunno, the dragonnettes seem less territorial/aggressive towards each other
edit; add ... to give you an idea: I put my two mandrins in a 150g, now there’s 1
I think i read an old post of yours when i was doing some searching. The one you lost was one that wasnt typically healthy from day one, am i correct? And i think you said you lost 2 during QT also....? Ive read that they can be difficult to establish them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure what you are saying there. Mandarin are very territorial. Male will not tolerate another male. Female will not tolerate another female or a smaller male. 1 sf for each fish is not appropriate they will starve in small area like that, does not matter how much pod there are initially.

I think i read an old post of yours when i was doing some searching. The one you lost was one that wasnt typically healthy from day one, am i correct? And i think you said you lost 2 during QT also....? Ive read that they can be difficult to establish them.
If you give them food they are very hardy. Hardly ever get any disease. My female were emaciated with bone bare with algae on the gill plate on the L side. It took 2 years for the fish to recover from the bare bone with algae but she eventually recovered completely. In the picture above the female regain her weight and spawned but still have algae growing on her bone, you can see the tuff of algae in the picture.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back