Mandarin goby

Jose padilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive currently been in the hobby for a few years and in the begining i was new and decided to keep a mandarin goby alone in a 20 gallon tank but sadly it died within two weeks because of my lack of knowledge to introduce copepods first and let my tank mature but my question now is that i have a 35 gallon with water and rock from my old tank and plan to keep a refugium in my sump with chaeto and copepods and was wondering if it would be a good idea to keep a mandarin in my display

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 29 biocube with a very happy and fat mandarin female. What I did was understand the commitment and constantly stock fresh copepods until she was eating pellets. Not saying all mandarins will eat pellets. Just saying it can be done if you are committed. I still stick a fresh batch in once I see no signs on my glass when he lights r off for a few hours. That’s kinda my indicator to add more. So she does stalk pods all day and eat pellets when offered.

Tuffyyyyy

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 29 biocube with a very happy and fat mandarin female. What I did was understand the commitment and constantly stock fresh copepods until she was eating pellets. Not saying all mandarins will eat pellets. Just saying it can be done if you are committed. I still stick a fresh batch in once I see no signs on my glass when he lights r off for a few hours. That’s kinda my indicator to add more. So she does stalk pods all day and eat pellets when offered.
How long have you had it? If you're adamant about trying a Manderin in a tank that small I'd strongly suggest making sure to get a captive bred one.

https://www.algaebarn.com/product/biota-captive-bred-green-mandarin/

These are raised on frozen foods.

jayala12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I applaud you for doing this. Mandarins are extremely easy to care for PROVIDED you understand their metabolism and diet. Many dont and what we see is a lot of unfortunate deaths due to starvation.

Cment

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you have to buy copepods? Doesnt that get expensive?
I want one very bad. Just dont think I can keep it happy in my little 13.5.
There’s a few sponsors on here and they start around $20-$30 a month. Another option is Paul B’s feeder or starting your own pod culture. I’m afraid that without adding them monthly or raising them yourself a mandarin isn’t a good fit and would die In Your size tank

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back