Mandarin Goby -

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am purchasing a mandarin goby. I have Carib Sea live rock in my tank that is almost a year old. Will this rock have produced copepods for it to eat? I know you can purchase them but will I need to?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am purchasing a mandarin goby. I have Carib Sea live rock in my tank that is almost a year old. Will this rock have produced copepods for it to eat? I know you can purchase them but will I need to?
Tank size and do you have a refugium?

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you mean the CaribSea LifeRock (which is not live). I have that rock and it doesn't produce copepods. You have to buy them to keep the tank stocked. It is best to add the pods to a refugium so they can reproduce otherwise you will probably have to keep restocking your tank unless you get an explosive reproduction rate.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming you mean the CaribSea LifeRock (which is not live). I have that rock and it doesn't produce copepods. You have to buy them to keep the tank stocked. It is best to add the pods to a refugium so they can reproduce otherwise you will probably have to keep restocking your tank unless you get an explosive reproduction rate.
Not true. I have a 90g no sump and have had a mandarin for years. Buying pods is something that is only needed for small tanks that don't produce enough on their own. It is next to impossible to prevent pods from showing up naturally in a tank. One person actually high temp treated everything before introducing it to their tank, even then pods still showed up.

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back on subject, do you have any fish that are currently pecking at your pod population?

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the glass very clean. We do get a residue on the glass after a couple days. Not sure I know if that would be them lol

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep the glass very clean. We do get a residue on the glass after a couple days. Not sure I know if that would be them lol
After the lights go out shine a flash light on the tank. Any white specs on the glass or critters scurrying on the rocks are pods.

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the lights go out shine a flash light on the tank. Any white specs on the glass or critters scurrying on the rocks are pods.
Honestly do that from time to time to see where my yellow tang is sleeping. Never seen movement. Will try tonight. Maybe I have not noticed as I was not looking.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly do that from time to time to see where my yellow tang is sleeping. Never seen movement. Will try tonight. Maybe I have not noticed as I was not looking.
They're very tiny. As I said before, it's basically impossible to not have copepods in your system. If concerned and for peace of mind you can always just order some from algae barn.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I do that on my tank it looks like thousands of tiny dots running across the glass, sand and rocks. If you actually have a decent pod population its hard to miss in my opinion.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true. I have a 90g no sump and have had a mandarin for years. Buying pods is something that is only needed for small tanks that don't produce enough on their own. It is next to impossible to prevent pods from showing up naturally in a tank. One person actually high temp treated everything before introducing it to their tank, even then pods still showed up.
Yep. That's why I said if the OP gets a population explosion in the DT then all is fine because it will probably remain stable. If not the OP will have to restock or possibly get a refugium. I didn't say it won't in tank only. I only pointed out what the different scenarios are. The OP just has to try it and see what works/doesn't work for their setup.

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recommend adding pods...one bottle per month for 2 or 3 months to establish a population. After that you should be good.

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs is out of them. I ordered a bottle from copepods.ca. I look to have a full film of them so ill add it for him when in.

OP
OP
reefnewb70

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We brought her home and she has not stopped eating off the rocks. She was famished. Our glass is crawling with copepods. I never noticed them before. I assumed film and I kept scraping them away daily.

Back