Mandarin? Or something else?

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a local aquarium fish market a while ago and saw a super interesting type of "dragonet" as the person in the shop said, although they call anything they don't know what is a dragonet. It looked almost like a puffer fish mixed with a mandarin? It had the size and complexity of a mandarin but the body looked like a puffer fish that behaved as a mandarin, I haven't been able to find anything similar since as they had sold out by the next week. I know ID will be hard without and photos but any ideas?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a local aquarium fish market a while ago and saw a super interesting type of "dragonet" as the person in the shop said, although they call anything they don't know what is a dragonet. It looked almost like a puffer fish mixed with a mandarin? It had the size and complexity of a mandarin but the body looked like a puffer fish that behaved as a mandarin, I haven't been able to find anything similar since as they had sold out by the next week. I know ID will be hard without and photos but any ideas?
Hard to say without a photo. Any chance you could attach some images of similar looking fish?

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1675179028872.png

Looks like a tiny porcupine puffer dragonet

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting! not common to the hobby.
Yeah I can tell, not much information on them. The ones there were tiny. These shops get all sorts of rare exotic fish in it’s just a shame they don’t know their names. It’s always a surprise when you go, you never what they will have. I went one weekend and there was this little yellow banded possum wrasse and I had been wanting one for forever so I got really lucky. It was around 3.5$ Us

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up after you said what it was and that was a good description. One would need quite a large tank for that fish as it grows! Pretty cool however.

OP
OP
1epauletteshark

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked it up after you said what it was and that was a good description. One would need quite a large tank for that fish as it grows! Pretty cool however.
Thanks, it’s not easy to describe them at all as they don’t look like anything else I have seen before. Yeah I saw how big they get and I was shocked as these were about 3 inches long if not less!

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, it’s not easy to describe them at all as they don’t look like anything else I have seen before. Yeah I saw how big they get and I was shocked as these were about 3 inches long if not less!
So, I take it that you are not going to be buying one anytime soon!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back