Mandarin? Or something else?

1epauletteshark

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 29, 2022
Messages
1,123
Reaction score
789
Location
Indonesia, Jakarta
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was at a local aquarium fish market a while ago and saw a super interesting type of "dragonet" as the person in the shop said, although they call anything they don't know what is a dragonet. It looked almost like a puffer fish mixed with a mandarin? It had the size and complexity of a mandarin but the body looked like a puffer fish that behaved as a mandarin, I haven't been able to find anything similar since as they had sold out by the next week. I know ID will be hard without and photos but any ideas?
 
I was at a local aquarium fish market a while ago and saw a super interesting type of "dragonet" as the person in the shop said, although they call anything they don't know what is a dragonet. It looked almost like a puffer fish mixed with a mandarin? It had the size and complexity of a mandarin but the body looked like a puffer fish that behaved as a mandarin, I haven't been able to find anything similar since as they had sold out by the next week. I know ID will be hard without and photos but any ideas?
Hard to say without a photo. Any chance you could attach some images of similar looking fish?
 
1675179028872.png

Looks like a tiny porcupine puffer dragonet
 
interesting! not common to the hobby.
Yeah I can tell, not much information on them. The ones there were tiny. These shops get all sorts of rare exotic fish in it’s just a shame they don’t know their names. It’s always a surprise when you go, you never what they will have. I went one weekend and there was this little yellow banded possum wrasse and I had been wanting one for forever so I got really lucky. It was around 3.5$ Us
 
I was at a local aquarium fish market a while ago and saw a super interesting type of "dragonet" as the person in the shop said, although they call anything they don't know what is a dragonet. It looked almost like a puffer fish mixed with a mandarin? It had the size and complexity of a mandarin but the body looked like a puffer fish that behaved as a mandarin, I haven't been able to find anything similar since as they had sold out by the next week. I know ID will be hard without and photos but any ideas?
I looked it up after you said what it was and that was a good description. One would need quite a large tank for that fish as it grows! Pretty cool however.
 
I looked it up after you said what it was and that was a good description. One would need quite a large tank for that fish as it grows! Pretty cool however.
Thanks, it’s not easy to describe them at all as they don’t look like anything else I have seen before. Yeah I saw how big they get and I was shocked as these were about 3 inches long if not less!
 
Thanks, it’s not easy to describe them at all as they don’t look like anything else I have seen before. Yeah I saw how big they get and I was shocked as these were about 3 inches long if not less!
So, I take it that you are not going to be buying one anytime soon!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new