Mangrove acclimation question

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't really take a mangrove very long to get big. I can collect the propagules off the beach and add them to my tank. In a couple of years they reach my lights and/or get so big a root system in the tank that I end up pulling it out and then debate if I want to do another one. They don't do much for the tank and in salt water they do develop salt residue on the leaves that needs to be cleaned off (Mother Nature does that by raining every day or two where mangroves grow naturally).

Just get a propagule now and put it in a plastic solo cup and let it get started. Just use water from your tank. They grow just fine in a cup like that for a couple of months at least. They are quite hearty plants.

OP
OP
pgravis

pgravis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought about that. But I am using the mangrove as actual reefscape. I’m not in it for the minuscule nutrient reduction (have a 90 gallon fuge and skimmer for that!). It’s the same debate I go through in buying frags vs colonies! Sometimes I don’t want to wait for my actual scape to be done. I have seen a few of the 24” on Amazon/eBay that I thought about putting in a bucket of freshwater outside for the summer and then acclimating them back to salt. Try and get them to develop some prop roots.
Thanks for the info. Any pics of past mangroves you’ve grown?

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don't have any photos. They are so common here in SW Florida that I really don't think about them much. The last one I had in a 4'x2'x14" shallow reef tank and the top of the mangrove was about 18" to 24" above the water. That was 3 or 4 years ago. Back when I started in the hobby I would pick up a handful of propagules off the beach and bring them home. I'd put them all in a solo cup and then one by one as they sprouted roots I'd pull them out and put them in their own cup. Then I'd pick one or two to use in the tank.

The way to get prop roots to develop is to float the propagule so the roots have to grow down to the sand. When they get close raise the propagule up a bit higher. Do that over and over until you get the amount of prop root you want.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.8%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 146 74.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.6%
Back