Manifold Suction Problems

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for some help for someone to help me figure out why I cannot get my manifold to work in the way I think it should work. Hopefully someone has had this problem before and solved it, but I am very confused on the science behind the issue and how to solve it. I am sure it will make sense if someone can explain it to me and propose a possible fix!

Water comes in from utility pump into the bottom of the uv light, then up and over to the manifold. The water then travels down to the right and back into the tank. I have lifted both the return and extra return I have here out of the water to ensure that was not the issue.

Everything appears to work just dandy on the main line, but when I open a manifold valve, the main line gives me a gurgling noise (appears to keep working like normal) and the reactor on the manifold just gets bubble, like there is a large amount of suction on it. I do not think water is even come out the valve at all, from what I have tested, but it just bubbles, like it is sucking in a bunch of air.

Photo Feb 21, 6 31 40 PM.jpg
Photo Feb 21, 6 32 05 PM.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the air purged out of all of the lines? If so, then I don't have anything else, so free bump...

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the main line is open ended? If so, you may be creating a Venturi with the branch lines. I'd try adding resistance to the end of the loop (a thumb could work well if it won't spray everywhere) and see if you get the flow you expect.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does the ‘down to the right and then back into the tank’ actually go - I cannot tell from the pictures. If the manifold valves are higher than the mouth of the return then they’re more likely to suck air than expell water. You’d have to put a ball valve on the ‘down to the right’ line to create some back pressure and divert water through the manifold valves.

OP
OP
WillH

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the main line is open ended? If so, you may be creating a Venturi with the branch lines. I'd try adding resistance to the end of the loop (a thumb could work well if it won't spray everywhere) and see if you get the flow you expect.
Yes, I had both under water on the sump side at one time, but I starterd moving them back out of the water to see if that helped, so they both sit above the water now

OP
OP
WillH

WillH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where does the ‘down to the right and then back into the tank’ actually go - I cannot tell from the pictures. If the manifold valves are higher than the mouth of the return then they’re more likely to suck air than expell water. You’d have to put a ball valve on the ‘down to the right’ line to create some back pressure and divert water through the manifold valves.

Yes, its about 7 feet higher, I was curious about this. I will try the ball valve, that sounds like my issue. I was guessing the falling water was the issue.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 116 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back