Manjaros?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Many thanks! I only knew they didn’t look like aptasia. How to do I get rid of them, if you don’t mind sharing?
Using a syringe, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a consistency like toothpaste and inject into their center core. They will melt down

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Fred2482! I’ve never actually been on an online community before, so please excuse any initial faux pas (plural) I might commit it responding. I am completely new to this, but I’m happy to be among fellow salt water and reef lovers!
This was my first online community as well. You will love it here.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Welcome to the fishy family!!! If they are related to aiptasia, I wonder if Aipatsia X or kalkwasser would do the job? File fish? Peppermint Shrimp??
Not related

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
D3F3AC16-A494-4AA0-B6C3-DF605094EF4D.gif

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like majanos but actually anemone gracilis also known as graceful anemone
I agree with graceful nem, but them and the melanaster nems are very similar. The foot and banding on the bottom side of the disk are the only factor to truly ID. In either one, they can reach plague levels. They also love higher nutrient tanks.

If you want to get rid of them, treat them the same as manjano or aiptasia. Kalk paste injected is best. There are natural predators for them also.

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with graceful nem, but them and the melanaster nems are very similar. The foot and banding on the bottom side of the disk are the only factor to truly ID. In either one, they can reach plague levels. They also love higher nutrient tanks.

If you want to get rid of them, treat them the same as manjano or aiptasia. Kalk paste injected is best. There are natural predators for them also.
Thank you! I’m trying to get used to how dialogue works in an online community, so please forgive my delayed responses. Learning curve. I do not know enough about anemones to cut one off at the base and be sure I’ve done it correctly. The tank’s parameters for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia and <0.10 ppm. I do not know the phosphate levels, but will be checking them. I’ve got Kalkwasser, but have never actually used it. I’m quite green, as you can see. I much appreciate your input. I can tell I’ve got a lot of research to do. But I’m not going to let this tank down.

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m trying to get used to how dialogue works in an online community, so please forgive my delayed responses. Learning curve. I do not know enough about anemones to cut one off at the base and be sure I’ve done it correctly. The tank’s parameters for nitrite, nitrate and ammonia and <0.10 ppm. I do not know the phosphate levels, but will be checking them. I’ve got Kalkwasser, but have never actually used it. I’m quite green, as you can see. I much appreciate your input. I can tell I’ve got a lot of research to do. But I’m not going to let this tank down.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not cut these nems unless you want them to spread more. They reproduce by splitting, so that is just helping them.

Make some kalk paste by mixing rodi water and kalk. You want it as thick as the needle will pull up. Use a syringe and suck some up. Insert syringe into center of the nem inject it in. The nem will melt. Depending on tank size, you can do either a few or a section at a time.

Also, you can kalk paste the whole rock outside of the water. Provided you can take the rock out. You do this after a water change and use the old tank water to rinse off the kalk 5 minutes after application. Mix the kalk and rodi into a consistancy of tooth paste and brush it on the rock. Wait 5 minutes and then rinse the rock in the old tank water. New mixed salt water works as well for a rinse. You would do this a rock a day for example. I have done it to rocks from tank buy outs all at once and only had a very small mini cycle. Not the ammonia mini cycle, but some elevated no3 and that’s it.

Either way, neither method hurts the good bacteria on the rock. Some may die on the outside of the rock for the coat the whole rock method, but typically not enough to worry with.

Edit: DO NOT DO THIS OUT OF WATER IF ZOAS AND PALYS ARE ON THE ROCKS!!!!!! Bad things can happen.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a syringe, mix kalkwasser powder with tank water and lemon juice into a consistency like toothpaste and inject into their center core. They will melt down
I will have to learn how to do that, as they must be “evicted”. Thank you. I don’t know enough about the particular balances yet, but hopefully I will learn through R2R. I am grateful to have this community.

OP
OP
M

Mantis212

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not cut these nems unless you want them to spread more. They reproduce by splitting, so that is just helping them.

Make some kalk paste by mixing rodi water and kalk. You want it as thick as the needle will pull up. Use a syringe and suck some up. Insert syringe into center of the nem inject it in. The nem will melt. Depending on tank size, you can do either a few or a section at a time.

Also, you can kalk paste the whole rock outside of the water. Provided you can take the rock out. You do this after a water change and use the old tank water to rinse off the kalk 5 minutes after application. Mix the kalk and rodi into a consistancy of tooth paste and brush it on the rock. Wait 5 minutes and then rinse the rock in the old tank water. New mixed salt water works as well for a rinse. You would do this a rock a day for example. I have done it to rocks from tank buy outs all at once and only had a very small mini cycle. Not the ammonia mini cycle, but some elevated no3 and that’s it.

Either way, neither method hurts the good bacteria on the rock. Some may die on the outside of the rock for the coat the whole rock method, but typically not enough to worry with.

Edit: DO NOT DO THIS OUT OF WATER IF ZOAS AND PALYS ARE ON THE ROCKS!!!!!! Bad things can happen.
Eagle_Steve,
You are indeed precise, and I sincerely appreciate that! I have no previous experience with this. I think I’m going to start with your latter suggestion, and isolate a piece before attacking the larger whole. Kalking them out of water seems safest for the tank. I’ve 65 lbs live rock, but thankfully it’s in chunks. So I can isolate and treat chunks.
Understood that zoas and other corals cannot survive this treatment. I’m going to see what I can do with this.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back