mantis shrimp in 10 gallon

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a limegreen mantis shrimp live fine in a 10 gallon tank and if so how would one feed it and set the tank up and if not what kind of mantis shrimp would work

Virtualbasil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many types of mantis shrimp. One of the small ones might be ok in a 10 gallon. But a full size 6"-8" would be kind of big for that. Either way a nice deep sand bed would help. I had a peacock mantis in a 35 gallon with a deep Sandbed.

OP
OP
F

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
on live aquaria they have a lime green one that gets 4 inches is that ok and what would i use equipment wise like filter and stuff special lighting? and how much sand and rock

OP
OP
F

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and would any fish at all beable to be kept with a small mantis shrimp

DustyXB9Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure how a mantis is different than any other shrimp but I would imagine you would set it up like any other tank. 10lbs of rock and 10lbs of sand should be good. General rule of thump is 1 lbs each per gallon.

Filtration can be different from tank to tank. Some guys say you need to have a mechanical (floss), biological (rock and sand), and a chemical (chemipure). In my tank I had floss and chemipure and my live rock but for the past week or so I've only had my floss and rock and all my perams have been nearly perfect.

OP
OP
F

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mantis shrimp have appendages they use to hunt prey divided into two categories smashers and spearers are there any other shrimp that hunt by smashing shells or spearing fish

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up a tank for a mantis right now. One can live in a 10 gal but if you want tank mates I would suggest that you go larger. A mantis will kill anything that gets too close to its home. How you set up the tank depends on the species of shrimp. Some need it darker than others. If you can give a link to the ship I can give more info. As for filtration a standard hob and live rock is fine.

OP
OP
F

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gonodactylaceus spp.)
p-80612-shrimp.jpg

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok it is a smasher that is generally very light adaptable. So as far as light you just need to decide if you want coral or macros and then go off their needs. Smasher mantis make their homes in live rock so you will want a few pieces big enough for it to completely hide inside when fully grown. I would recommend an in sand bed at least. It will dig under rock. Spearing mantis require a much deeper sand bed.

No tankmates are 100%. A smasher will go after inverts more than fish but that doesn't mean that a fish is safe if the mantis gets hungry or feels threatened. Generally if there is enough room larger animals will be left alone though. I would stick to inexpensive tankmates.

OP
OP
F

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was thinking about a 5$ damsel fish i have a 20 gallon nano reef going on so lighting isnt nessassary and would 4 large pieces of live rock on a kinda deep sandbed work with maybe a clay pot
or pvc pipe for an extra cave if he wants to explore

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. The mantis will need some kind of light so it can keep a day/night cycle but it can be a stock power compact used in basic freshwater if your not doing anything else. Yea as long as the damsel isn't too much larger than the mantis that would be a good choice. They are on my list as company for mine. Also looking at mollies that have been acclimated to salt. They would be good algea eaters.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just thinking one of the 5.99 blue guys. Middle range on nastiest. I wouldn't do a big domino or that. They may be too much for a baby mantis. Mine is only an inch right now. Lol.

AquariaRusso

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't recommend putting any fish in a tank with a mantis (no matter what size). If you want a mantis setup primarily a smaller tank with a vast amount of substrate. You will have a ticked off shrimp and a very paranoid fish.

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it depends on the species and individual shrimp. I have delt with 5 hitchicker mantis with this new tank. One was a total jerk. Wouldnt even let bristle worms near his rock. He even attempted to attack me. This guy I'm setting up a tank for has been an angel as far as mantis shrimp go. He actually spent several months in a 20 gallon with a dragonette. NOT RECOMMENDED!!!! I grabbed a chunk of rock out of my display to put in qt for the fish and he was inside. Ended up teaching both to eat frozen... he does kill tiny snails but really doesn't go after hermits or crabs as long as I feed him. They even share his rock [emoji44]. He is very curious and loves to sit and watch everything. That's why I decided to keep him. So it depends on how the mantis acts I guess

OP
OP
F

fishboy10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeh i may not add the fish as i would never add a damsel to my 20 gallon nano reef already containing a clownfish a neon goby and a firefish

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 46 41.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back