Manual vs. Automatic Water Testing

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Manual vs automatic pic.jpg

This is a controversial topic in the reefing community and often draws fervent responses from reefers supporting one method or the other. In this article, we are going to examine some of the claims made by both camps, highlight the main differences, and help you make up your mind.

Manual testing is awesome:
Reefers who prefer to manually test their tank’s water often claim that they derive a lot of pleasure from the process of manual testing itself and go on to say that switching to automatic water-testing would take that pleasure away. Given the subjective nature of this claim, it’s impossible to produce a counterargument from the other camp. Suffice it to say that if you are one of these people, then just keep doing you!

Automatic testing is super convenient:
The most beneficial advantage of automatic water testing is that it is more convenient and less time-consuming than manual testing. This is especially useful for reefers who lead busy professional lives and find that they have very little time to take care of their aquatic life. Part of the convenience of automatic testing also lies in the fact that you can run the tests remotely without even having to be physically present to do so, which can literally be a lifesaver when you are travelling! This is the case with the ReefBot, which allows you to fully customize the testing schedule and receive the results via web or mobile app.

Manual Testing is more accurate:
Some members of the community have the perception that manual testing is more accurate than automatic testing, likely because they feel they have more control over the process and are thus more prone to trust it. However, the truth is that automatic testing devices are also similarly accurate, depending on each specific device and how it works of course. In the case of the ReefBot for example, the device tests the parameters using the same off-the-shelf brands used by manual testers, which means that the results are identical to what you would get through manual testing without the human error.

Automatic testing is consistent
Given the mechanical nature automatic testing, the margin for human error usually seen in manual testing is completely eradicated. Taking the example of the Reefbot again, the margin of error of the device when using titration to test the parameters does not exceed %2.5, which is completely insignificant for generating and interpreting the results. The margin of error in manual testing on the other hand is far higher, though it’s hard to put a specific number on it.

Manual testing allows you to test more parameters
This is certainly the case with some of the automatic testing devices available on the market, which usually test between 1-3 main parameters. This is not the case our ReefBot, however, which is currently capable of testing up to 7 parameters, and more are on the way!
We cannot objectively conclude that one method is better than the other, as that depends on several factors such as the reefer’s preferences, their lifestyle, time-commitments… But, we do hope that we have been able to illuminate some of the main differences between the two testing methods and helped you form your own opinion. We would love to hear your opinion; please feel free to leave a comment below!

Download the Reef Kinetics Cloud Controller App:
apple-store.pnggoogle-play.png

Manual vs automatic pic.jpg

Last edited:

BestMomEver

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting information. Thanks! Personally, I don’t like manual testing. I have very little time and that’s often not at the top of my to-do list. I would love a mechanical tester, but they are a little too expensive right now. So... it is what it is!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been testing by hand forever. Simple and easy. Use 2 tests to verify if a reading seems off. And keep a log. Only automation I have is a used apex I picked up. I only use it to turn stuff on and off and to check ph and temp currently. I would condiser automation of tests but right now Im getting by quite well with test kits.

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great article on the Reefbot. There is always a tradeoff of convenience vs. cost. These "electronic testing" devices are relatively new to the hobby and are expensive. Goodness, I had a Neptune Apex 1.0 back in 1999 so yea, I am a technology junkie and jumped all over this when I rejoined the hobby last year. For many people who travel like me, and the desire to constantly know what is going on when you aren't around, these devices have definitely lowered the stress level.

On the accuracy, the Reefbot doesn't make a test more accurate in of itself. If the test kit is inherently inaccurate, then the Reefbot will only automate that, not make it more accurate. That said, it will measure exactly as the test kit is capable and eliminate the transition of color guessing game and the final test result. I personally test nitrate, phosphate and calcium with the Reefbot right now. I test calcium with the API kit with the Reefbot and the Hanna hand kit. The API kit is consistently 400, while my Hanna Kit is 460. Which one is correct, who knows :). I have sent only one test in to Triton ICP at the very same time I did the hand test. ICP said 403 and API said 380.

The technology has to work for you to "rely" on it with confidence. As with any new technology, the gremlins can get in the airwaves and things stop working for whatever the reason. (Dog gone it...I keep hitting my Iphone to answer the call and it just won't work...) I have had my Reefbot since mid- July and I have had only one situation where the Reefbot went off wifi for whatever the reason and I needed support from Reef Kinetics. We fixed it and was back online in a couple of days.

Having that security to know you can test at any time, where ever you might be lowers the stress. When my OCD kicks in and I want to know everything, it is a few clicks on the application and within a couple hours, I have all the results. As for the cost, we have all spent hundreds of dollars, probably thousands, on various corals, set up, etc. If you have $2000-$8000 of livestock and there are the few you "love," then $800-$900 for peace of mind is a small price to pay in my book.

Here is a teaser picture of my tank...build to come when I have something to really show ...

Main-Tank-2.jpg

Scott Sweet
"Patience...take it slow and easy when you make changes and don't chase the numbers ..."

Last edited:

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two reef tank-related tasks I find the most tedious are doing water changes and water testing. Been running an AWS for a couple of years now, so that takes care of drudgery #1; trident takes care of drudgery #2, but only partly. If only somebody would make an automated device for nitrate and phosphate …….

scottsweet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two reef tank-related tasks I find the most tedious are doing water changes and water testing. Been running an AWS for a couple of years now, so that takes care of drudgery #1; trident takes care of drudgery #2, but only partly. If only somebody would make an automated device for nitrate and phosphate …….
ReefBot does that now...

OP
OP
Reef Kinetics

Reef Kinetics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can check the ReefBot.
It can do phosphate, nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, calcium, alkalinity, magnesium. And always adding new parameters!
www.reefkinetics.com

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People who run cycling threads have been waiting two decades for a testing system where five or more people are able to measure ammonia and nitrite consistently.

is that coming one day, cheaply

When that is attained, then a new day will dawn for information about how nitrifiers really behave. What they tolerate...how fast they set up shop...how quick they convert....how fully they convert, all so critical

Currently, due to mistesting by about half a million cyclers, they're totally misrepresented and the collective take on tank microbiology is about 180 degrees off kilter. one day we'll look back and say: you remember those times you'd get .25 no matter what you tested?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 33 80.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.9%
Back