MAR unit chaeto not turning

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Roger,have the MAR unit up and running for a couple of months now,it's working well and growing chaeto,however,it gets to a point where the chaeto rises to the top and stops turning,was I wrong in thinking the reactor would fill completely before I needed to harvest?,as it stands,I just remove half the chaeto and it stays in the bottom of the reactor and turns,I've turned the pump up full but this didn't turn the chaeto.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally if the chaeto is blowing up to the top this points to the flow being too high. Turn the pump down. This can also happen from bubbles building up and if the pump is not somewhere that it may be taking in air, reducing the photoperiod would likely solve it. It won't fill completely, but you should be able to get it about 2/3rd full and then the rotation will likely stop and it needs service.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally if the chaeto is blowing up to the top this points to the flow being too high. Turn the pump down. This can also happen from bubbles building up and if the pump is not somewhere that it may be taking in air, reducing the photoperiod would likely solve it. It won't fill completely, but you should be able to get it about 2/3rd full and then the rotation will likely stop and it needs service.
Ok Roger thanks,turning down the pump did not work for me,it's only when I increased the pump speed that the chaeto started to turn but would rise to the top and stop,pump is well submerged so I dont think I'm getting air in there,it seems like only a small amount of chaeto will turn and needs to be harvested quite often in order to get that rotation, nothing close to 3/4 full,Im thinking the bigger model would probably work better.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally start with a baseball to softball sized piece and let it grow until the reactor is 2/3rd full. The flow should typically be set quite low. It may not spin at first, but when it is a small piece, it will generally start to spin as it gets denser with growth (2-3 days) and while it is small the spinning is not so important as the light can simply pass through and light the far side enough. The large reactor will likely be out in December/January.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would generally start with a baseball to softball sized piece and let it grow until the reactor is 2/3rd full. The flow should typically be set quite low. It may not spin at first, but when it is a small piece, it will generally start to spin as it gets denser with growth (2-3 days) and while it is small the spinning is not so important as the light can simply pass through and light the far side enough. The large reactor will likely be out in December/January.
Roger,I understand,but I'm getting the opposite result,when I start with the small piece,it turns well it's when it starts growing it stops turning and when I turn up the speed to get it moving the chaeto rises to the top and stops turning,just bought this,won't be spending more on the bigger version.

rvitko

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some time, don't get so obsessed about the rotation, it can stop spinning, it will start again. If the chaeto is pressed against the sides, it will stop spinning and needs to be thinned. Anytime the algae is against the lid, the flow rate is too high. Turn it down, don't focus on it spinning, spinning will come and go as the chaeto grows.

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it some time, don't get so obsessed about the rotation, it can stop spinning, it will start again. If the chaeto is pressed against the sides, it will stop spinning and needs to be thinned. Anytime the algae is against the lid, the flow rate is too high. Turn it down, don't focus on it spinning, spinning will come and go as the chaeto grows.
Ok,Roger,thanks.

Seeady66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found if you stretch the baseball size into a long piece than put it in. I found it spins easy and as it grows if fills most of the reactor. I harvest mine when it stops Spinning. I remove about 4 good baseball size pieces. I use a TUNZE 1073.05 pump at 800lph running through the reactor works perfectly on my 120 gallon.
Adrian

OP
OP
R

rtague

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found if you stretch the baseball size into a long piece than put it in. I found it spins easy and as it grows if fills most of the reactor. I harvest mine when it stops Spinning. I remove about 4 good baseball size pieces. I use a TUNZE 1073.05 pump at 800lph running through the reactor works perfectly on my 120 gallon.
Adrian
Adrian
Thanks,appreciate that.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back