Maricultured SPS browning

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a few maricultured colonies that are relatively new. Two I have had for about a month and one I have had for a week or two. All of them seem to lose all their color and brown out. My most recent Colonie still has colors on its tips, but the rest is brown. Is this normal for maricultured colonies?

OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and to add, my other SPS aren't brown, and I'm almost 100% sure they are aquacultured

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maricultured sps are collected from the natural reef and then placed in a couple feet deep of water where they will grow for weeks or months before making their way to vendors. During this time they are exposed to extreme light in such shallow waters.
I have kept maricultured sps for many years with great success and the trick is blasting them with intense light, that's what they adapted to on the corals farms.
If I place maricultured sps in typical sps conditions they will lose color and then when placed back in intense light they color back up in no time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Sdoutreefer

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maricultured sps are collected from the natural reef and then placed in a couple feet deep of water where they will grow for weeks or months before making their way to vendors. During this time they are exposed to extreme light in such shallow waters.
I have kept maricultured sps for many years with great success and the trick is blasting them with intense light, that's what they adapted to on the corals farms.
If I place maricultured sps in typical sps conditions they will lose color and then when placed back in intense light they color back up in no time.

OK makes sense. I figured it'd be something with the lighting. I'm just very cautious about not bleaching my sps. Thank you for the input!

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just try moving them up a little each day until you notice come color coming back. What lighting are you using?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 26 26.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 49 49.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back