Marine beta struggle

rhondajk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all. My son in law got a marine barts for me for Xmas. I’ve had him 6 weeks now and ive never seen him eat. Everything I’ve tried he just turns away like leave me alone. I’ve tried live brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, live blood worms, shrimp and talapia from seafood counter soaked in garlic, small mollies, and ghost shrimp. I think I saw him go through the motions of trapping a ghost shrimp but didn’t see him eat it. This fish is causing me sooo much stress and anxiety

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all. My son in law got a marine barts for me for Xmas. I’ve had him 6 weeks now and ive never seen him eat. Everything I’ve tried he just turns away like leave me alone. I’ve tried live brine shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, frozen mysis shrimp, live blood worms, shrimp and talapia from seafood counter soaked in garlic, small mollies, and ghost shrimp. I think I saw him go through the motions of trapping a ghost shrimp but didn’t see him eat it. This fish is causing me sooo much stress and anxiety
This is generally a norm. They are super bashful and rarely eat up front and within a couple of weeks will hang out and await food to approach them and take it in. They are not your typical fish to come out and chase down food.
You have some the basic foods for it and its just a matter of it accepting it.
Mine for about 8 months never came out if I were near the tank.
So - Is it eating without your knowledge?
One way to see id the next time you feed,
set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there.
Review the video and see if it is eating when you are not there

DO NOT OVERFEED TO GET IT TO EAT. More problems will arise with the added uneaten foods

Last edited:

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome! Glad you joined. I'm glad there is already good information here in the thread for you. Fingers are crossed it all works out! If you love to watch fish eat and given this is such a super shy fish, perhaps you'll even put a camera on your tank so you can watch them all the time without fish realizing it - and perhaps give you peace of mind when vacationing that all is fine back home.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread under Forum > Member Aquariums and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

This might help you find people local to you:

This is a good reference book type online article I still review:

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
welcome33.gif

OP
OP
R

rhondajk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is generally a norm. They are super bashful and rarely eat up front and within a couple of weeks will hang out and await food to approach them and take it in. They are not your typical fish to come out and chase down food.
You have some the basic foods for it and its just a matter of it accepting it.
Mine for about 8 months never came out if I were near the tank.
So - Is it eating without your knowledge?
One way to see id the next time you feed,
set your cell phone on video mode for about 30 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there.
Review the video and see if it is eating when you are not there

DO NOT OVERFEED TO GET IT TO EAT. More problems will arise with the added uneaten foods
I did that for a couple weeks and then had a phosphate spike and had to treat that and do water change. He has been in there 6 weeks so he has to be eating because he doesn’t look weak or super skinny.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I did that for a couple weeks and then had a phosphate spike and had to treat that and do water change. He has been in there 6 weeks so he has to be eating because he doesn’t look weak or super skinny.
Theyre sneakt feeders and Im sure it has been why I sggested the phone trick- Always a good assurance by seeing it on video

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back