Marine Betta Help Not Eating

dustinwerk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got myself a Marine Betta at my LFS about a week ago for $120. (no gender I just refer to all my animals as “him”) I put him in my 150g fish only tank that has a Green Bird Wrasse, Harlequin Bass, and two Maroon Clownfish.
I’m just getting the tank started after cycling it.
The Marine Betta acts like he’s been in my tank forever, honestly he really doesn’t act like a marine betta, he’s really all over the tank and out during the day with the light on which really shocked me because they’re known to be very shy, and only come out at night when the lights are off. So I feel very lucky on that. But here’s my problem, he’s not eating. I’ve attempted to feed him frozen shrimp, prawn and freeze dried krill pellets, none of it has even appealed to him. He even looks right at it, but there’s no sign at all he’s interested in eating it. I even tried with a piece of prawn on these “tongs” and he didn’t even look at it.

Expensive fish and one of my most favorite fish out there, would hate to lose him or return him. Please offer your help in the comments, it would be much much appreciated.

DF9986A0-C207-4E1D-9DA6-530AD12F2425.jpeg

brmreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no personal experience with this fish species, so take this advise for what its worth, but I was wondering since it is deemed nocturnal, would it be more prone to eating at night, dusk, or dawn? Just a thought and an attempt at feeding at night might be something (if in the same position) I would try just to see it's behavior at different times of day.

Since the tank is somewhat new-ish maybe something there could be a factor. It could also still be acclimating to the new environment. Just keep trying, but hold off on any new additions until the tank matures a little more.

Another thought, would soaking whatever food being provided in some Selcon or Garlic up the enticement factor.

Best of luck and hope some others chime in with their experiences with this species.

Beautiful fish btw! :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a big beauty and they are very shy. Took mine 14 months to stay out in the open
Also took it 2+ weeks before I saw it attempting food.
Drop brine shrimp in tank which will reach it and in time will take all frozen foods.
Live ghost shrimp and brine shrimp will also entice it to eat

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of curiosity, did you ever get your Betta to eat? Mine took almost a month to eat frozen, but I had enough stuff living in my rocks it was constantly eating critters. A year later and the dang thing is still on the shy side, but is getting better.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but depending on the fish's capture location, it may have been collected with cyanide. Two common symptoms of cyanide poisoning are excessive boldness and lack of a feeding response. These fish live deep in the reef structure, collectors need to maximize the number of fish they catch (a collector might be paid $3 for a fish like this) so they use cyanide to drive them out of the rocks. This species is pretty resistant to the effects, but this one could have caught a higher than usual "dose".

That said, can you get some live brine shrimp to try?

Jay

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This fish sometimes needs live food to initially settle them in to captive living. Ideally he would have been placed in an observation tank to establish feeding before introduction into the display. I would try live ghost shrimp, live brine shrimp and live black worms; target the food towards him. It doesn't take long to get him nibbling on other foods once you get him initially triggered. You can also seed the rocks with pods. When you feed, put your pumps on feed mode, and squirt the food towards him with a pipette or baster.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From your experience, which species / groups of fish are particularly prone to being caught with cyanide? Which ones generally are safe? Thanks.
How common is it an occurrence these days compared to say 10, 20 years ago?

eric.tech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned above, live food can be used to entice these shy guys out. I’ve heard live black worms work like a charm with these guys! My marine betta was luckily already eating frozen food when I pick him up from the LFS. Try different combinations and maybe even some flake foods.

OP
OP
D

dustinwerk19

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
appreciate the support everyone, I apologize for not getting back to yall sooner. My Marine Betta started eating a few days after when we tried live glass shrimp, he loves those guys, then we started mixing our live glass shrimp with our normal frozen food, he started eating that, and once maybe twice a day I feed him a krill pellet, he bolts out of his cave takes it and leaves. You just need to have patience with this fish, don’t give up, he’s turned out to be one of my best and my personal favorite fish in my tank. He’s out like any other fish, and we’ve only had him for a few weeks.

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear it worked out. Marine Bettas are one of my absolute favorite fish. Mine is currently sitting in the center of the tank all fanned out. :D

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to be a "Debbie Downer" but depending on the fish's capture location, it may have been collected with cyanide. Two common symptoms of cyanide poisoning are excessive boldness and lack of a feeding response. These fish live deep in the reef structure, collectors need to maximize the number of fish they catch (a collector might be paid $3 for a fish like this) so they use cyanide to drive them out of the rocks. This species is pretty resistant to the effects, but this one could have caught a higher than usual "dose".

That said, can you get some live brine shrimp to try?

Jay
In my experience C. altivelis seem to be less affected by cyanide fishing than C. argus. This may either be due to the fact that C. altivelis are found less deep in the ocean so that collectors have more time to wait and can use lower cyanide dosages or that C. argus is more sensitive to cyanide. Given how close they are in physiology I would think it is dosage related.
Out of 7 C. argus I got in the last 15 months only one survived while the rest succumbed to strange infections and tissue rot that would not affect any other fish I had them with in quarantine.
These guys most definitely need to be captive bred.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
As you may have found- they are very bashful fish and eat best when youre not around. Mine is a dotted beauty

660g 4-1d.jpg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1. I have had mine 13 months now, and it still sometimes hides when I'm close to the glass, and only last week was I actually able to video it feeding.

They're very slow and careful eaters.
I would recommend shutting off the powerheads, dropping in some food and backing off. Mine is a big fan of mysis shrimp and hunting various things off the rocks. Live is always an option too, if you can. Ghost shrimp, and they'll sometimes even eat smaller fish. :)

Attachments

• DSC_3038.JPG
    DSC_3038.JPG
    76 KB · Views: 43

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go to an asian market and get some fresh roe. Live brine is a good start too.
Unfortunatly i consider this fish to be very hard to get to eat. Like a sweetlips.
I pass on marine bettas. Beautiful fish but not for me.
D

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not entirely sure, but the one I had ripped the face off of one of my chromis within the first 24 hours...lol

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just shipped these two to OrionN who took this picture of them:
1617265116444.png

46 of their siblings will be available from Biota shortly.
All eating well and Biota is even training them on TDO pellets.

will keep an eye out, thanks!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back