Marine Betta

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did not get an email today, just the "Sneak peak" list but not the email notify of new stock for sale. :mad:
Sold quickly too.
Sometimes mine get sent to the spam folder. It did go quickly though.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New Calloplesiops argus from Indonesia:

20210411_201249_Burst01.jpg

Let's hope this one will live...

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after 2 weeks of not see the two baby Marine Betta at all I saw them both this morning. I was reasonably sure that they are doing well in the rock structure, but visual confirmation does help easing my mind.
:):):)

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after 2 weeks of not see the two baby Marine Betta at all I saw them both this morning. I was reasonably sure that they are doing well in the rock structure, but visual confirmation does help easing my mind.
:):):)
They probably feel like in paradise in your anemone QT where they can munch on pods all day without leaving their caves.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 of the first batch I sorted out as future broodstock:

And here they are in their new tank, my old acrylic Nuvo Abyss:

Unfortunately the Lotilia klausewitzi I moved with them to that tank jumped out - another reason why I really hate rimless tanks.

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now available at @Biota_Marine

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen these? First thing I thought of was that would be a cool hiding place for a Marine Betta!
West Mariculture Bonsai
I'm not sure. I tried pipes and Siporax tubes and they didn't take them. They prefer more spacious caves with entrances they can stand in. Also, they would outgrow these fairly fast.
But those are perfect for dottybacks and rock dwelling gobies.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like this? This thing is a beast ... it only fits sideways in a 5 gallon bucket.

Attachments

• PXL_20210406_153239486.MP.jpg
    PXL_20210406_153239486.MP.jpg
    282.1 KB · Views: 94

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience what are the odds of a male altivelis and a male argus not ending up killing each other?

When I got them over 2 years ago, the altivelis was probably 5 or 6 months old (the size of your young ones) and the argus was maybe 2 years old.

I was hoping they would pair up but that hasn't happened and the altivelis is now considerably larger than the argus. So I guess they are both males by now?

When they meet, most of the times they ignore each other, but every now and then, there's a faceoff and the argus chases the altivelis away. I've seen the argus bite the altivelis' tail and split it in 2.

I'm afraid that at one point the altivelis decides he's no longer taking it (he's larger than the argus now) and decides to kill the argus.

On the other hand, they're different enough that it seems they don't cross breed, so maybe the 2 males can coexist long term?

What's does your experience with these fish tell you?

Sorry to pester you with these questions but you're the only person I can ask them :)

OP
OP
ThRoewer

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your experience what are the odds of a male altivelis and a male argus not ending up killing each other?

When I got them over 2 years ago, the altivelis was probably 5 or 6 months old (the size of your young ones) and the argus was maybe 2 years old.

I was hoping they would pair up but that hasn't happened and the altivelis is now considerably larger than the argus. So I guess they are both males by now?

When they meet, most of the times they ignore each other, but every now and then, there's a faceoff and the argus chases the altivelis away. I've seen the argus bite the altivelis' tail and split it in 2.

I'm afraid that at one point the altivelis decides he's no longer taking it (he's larger than the argus now) and decides to kill the argus.

On the other hand, they're different enough that it seems they don't cross breed, so maybe the 2 males can coexist long term?

What's does your experience with these fish tell you?

Sorry to pester you with these questions but you're the only person I can ask them :)
I never kept those together so your guess is better than mine.

Argus should normally get larger than altivelis and there is not the slightest indication that they may form hybrids, neither in the wild nor in captivity.

But I'm no longer certain that Marine Bettas change sex and my trio might actually be composed of 2 males (one disguising himself as female) and just one female.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for creating more doubts in my head :)

What makes you suspect you have a male disguising himself as a female? The shape of the head?

I always prefer to have fish in pairs and I got these 2 because they were available at the same time. I figured that if these fish were thought to be the same species for so long, odds are they would crossbreed.

I will keep a close eye on them and I will intervene as soon as I see any signs of serious aggression.

The argus seems to not have grown at all in these 27 months and the altivelis has tripled in size.

On one hand I would like them to each have a companion, I believe fish live much happier lives this way. So I was thinking about the possibility of finding a small argus and a small altivelis (the tank is a 200 gallon reef with lots of shaded areas).

But you just threw me a curved ball with that suspicion about them not changing sex.

I also thought that maybe the 2 larger bettas would become more aggressive if they had females.

Ardeus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are normally as peaceful as this:

But not always and it's the argus that until now has the upper hand.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 81 48.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back