Marine Betta

Awesome. Will take a look.

What do you think of the Captive Bred ones from Bali Aquarich having so many misbarred/ aberrant specimens?
My feeling is that Wen-Ping Su picked the pair with that in mind. So it is likely to some degree intentional, an attempt to create "designer" regal angels.
 
I’m honestly not a fan of that, much prefer clean, straight bars.
I prefer the straight bars as well. Male and female of my pair have some irregular bars, the male has just a minor irregularity while the female has a bit more on one side. I ordered both blind and didn't pick them out myself.
 
Yeah, good luck with the breeding project. How long have you had your pair and how big are they now?

I’ve seen many straight bars / nearly straight bars among the captive bred ones too but I hope Wen-Ping Su doesn’t try to really go for the “designer” stuff, including a red Regal.
 
I kept pairs in 120 liter (30 gallon) tanks without issues. They really don't need that much volume, just enough caves (= rock heavy aquascape).
How long do they take to grow, I would like to keep a baby one in my 30 gallon until i upgrade in a year or so?
 
How long do they take to grow, I would like to keep a baby one in my 30 gallon until i upgrade in a year or so?
C. altivelis grows pretty slowly and takes a couple of years (3 to 5) to reach its full size.
C. argus is even slower in growth.
 
C. altivelis grows pretty slowly and takes a couple of years (3 to 5) to reach its full size.
C. argus is even slower in growth.
How do you tell the difference between the two genuses?
 
They're very different. The argus has a brownish color (instead of black) with much more fine and well aligned dots and the fins seem really fragile.
 
How long do they take to grow, I would like to keep a baby one in my 30 gallon until i upgrade in a year or so?
You will be fine. i got a couple in October, 2021. About an inch long. They are about 3" now and still hanging out in a 20 high refugium attached to my DT.
 
Nice. Are they taking all foods dry and frozen?
i’m not a big dry food guy. They mainly eat frozen mysis soaked in selcon. some krill and grass shrimp from time to time.

i do have a mandarin from Biota that only eats pellets.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new