Marine Biologist

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately this wouldn’t work for my two you girls. ☹. I will continue to network and research but your perspective has been tremendously helpful so thank you again.

this is one of the main reasons I left. Although I do not have children currently, I know that I want them in the future. In order to ensure they have a good life, I knew that my income was not going to suffice. And I am not the type of woman to depend on her partner for financial stability.
don’t get me wrong, I still adore everything the ocean. I just chose a path that would open more doors for me.
so I had an undergrad in environmental science, and now a masters in environmental engineering. Those coupled with my marine experience I am hoping to land a coastal job working on restoration of marshes/estuaries in coastal cities and reducing the impacts of flooding whilst not slowing down coastal development.

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I did my change - we had 3 childs from 3 to 9 years of age. I had a blue collar job before and no money saved. With help of student loans and extra work during nights and holidays and that my wife had a evening job in the eldre care it works out very well. However - it was in Sweden and we do not pay for the higher education - only for the living costs.

But if you found a way out for courses like these - you will not regret yourself.

My education was later the base for my job at public aquariums and I still work with that.

Sincerely Lasse

Thank you Lasse. I always appreciate hearing perspectives from people who have successfully followed this career path!

OP
OP
Joestajkowski

Joestajkowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this is one of the main reasons I left. Although I do not have children currently, I know that I want them in the future. In order to ensure they have a good life, I knew that my income was not going to suffice. And I am not the type of woman to depend on her partner for financial stability.
don’t get me wrong, I still adore everything the ocean. I just chose a path that would open more doors for me.
so I had an undergrad in environmental science, and now a masters in environmental engineering. Those coupled with my marine experience I am hoping to land a coastal job working on restoration of marshes/estuaries in coastal cities and reducing the impacts of flooding whilst not slowing down coastal development.

Thank you again. Very inspiring and best of luck. It sounds like you have a very rewarding career ahead of you!

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that and that is definitely a current mental roadblock for me. Anticipating the frustration of knowing I’ve already done this once and graduated and now I’m starting again. Did you keep working your current full time job when you went back to school?
I went to teaching private lessons to work around school schedule and did some odd job stuff even did a taxi gig for a bit along with lesons.

Zuma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I currently have a Bachelors Degree in Human Resources and a full time job. I am seriously considering going back to school to follow my dreams and pursue a career in Marine Biology. I was wondering if there may be any current Marine Biologists or someone who is currently enrolled in a program here on R2R that may be willing to offer some advice or answer some questions.

Thanks in advance,

Joe
Do it, follow your dreams but be flexible in terms of what type of biologist job you can land; aquatic biologist, terrestrial, etc.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back