Marine ICH / Velvet

Daniel25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the difference between marine ich and velvet

I have just lost all the fish in my tank.
I'm new to the whole saltwater reef so I treated for ich it appeared to be getting better the day after and then they were covered in spots and started to die off now all that's in the tank is some snails and a hermit crab what should I do before adding more fish? Should I keep treating the fishless tank?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
What is the difference between marine ich and velvet

I have just lost all the fish in my tank.
I'm new to the whole saltwater reef so I treated for ich it appeared to be getting better the day after and then they were covered in spots and started to die off now all that's in the tank is some snails and a hermit crab what should I do before adding more fish? Should I keep treating the fishless tank?
With it, you can count the dots and are cysts which looks like salt grains
Velvet will be infinite like the solar system and looks like dust
With velvet, fish won’t eat, rapid breathing, lethargic behavior and swimming in the path of water flow
They treat similarly and will need to be done in a quarantine setting with added aeration and good water quality
Can you post pics and video of fish under white lighting?

OP
OP
Daniel25

Daniel25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20220506_235526.jpg
this was the clown when I first seen it and then after treating it went away for a day and came back again a day later

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What were you treating the ICH with? anything less than copper is likely to fail.

If there are no more fish, then leave the tank fallow (fishless) for 45+ days. With no hosts (fish) in the tank, the parasites will die off over time.

OP
OP
Daniel25

Daniel25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to treat with esha oodinex that's what my fish supplier had given me to treat the tank

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to treat with esha oodinex that's what my fish supplier had given me to treat the tank

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Your clownfish has marine ich.

esha oodinex is a EU product that is a mixture of some organic dyes at very low doses. I have not used it myself since I'm in the US. Generally though, any product that is designed to be "reef safe" is also "ich safe".

I see two options, both must be done with no invertebrates present:

Hyposalinity - a specific gravity of 1.009 for 30 to 35 days
Copper medication for 30 days.

Then, the tank the fish came from must be kept free of all fish for 60 to 75 days to let the ich die out.

Jay

Back