Marine Pure blocks vs Live Rock

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching Marine Pure blocks and it seems to be a good alternative to live rock. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Does anyone know the ratio to use? I know of the old 1lb/gal for live rock. I would like to stick some Marine Pure in my sumo and remove some lr from my display, just wondering how much I can take out. FYI I have a mixed reef 40B with approx 7gal sump

mhaun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great experiences with them. I used the small block for over 2 years on a 40 with 2 clowns and 2 wrasses. It only had 1 piece of LR since it was a frag tank. Zero nitrates constantly.

I will be adding a large block to my new 150 build. I have a heavy stocked 100 now.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching Marine Pure blocks and it seems to be a good alternative to live rock. Does anyone have any experience with this product? Does anyone know the ratio to use? I know of the old 1lb/gal for live rock. I would like to stick some Marine Pure in my sumo and remove some lr from my display, just wondering how much I can take out. FYI I have a mixed reef 40B with approx 7gal sump
I'm not a fan of the 1lb per gallon of live rock. Porosity of the rock can make a huge impact on the amount needed as does the bio load of the system.

If you have already bought some Marine Pure, add it to your sump and give it a week or two. Then remove a little bit of LR every week while regularly testing for ammonia. Just go slow and you should be fine.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had great experiences with them. I used the small block for over 2 years on a 40 with 2 clowns and 2 wrasses. It only had 1 piece of LR since it was a frag tank. Zero nitrates constantly.

I will be adding a large block to my new 150 build. I have a heavy stocked 100 now.
Which size block? 8x8x1 or 8x8x4"

JaimeAdams

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that the 8x8x4 would have more affect on lowering nitrate.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to cut the blocks? I may need to cut in half to make one fit. Wondering how difficult that is
Yes, they can be cut in half without any problem.

The 8"x8"x1" is rated at 100g so a single one of those should be more than enough since you also plan on keeping at least some of your live rock.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, they can be cut in half without any problem.

The 8"x8"x1" is rated at 100g so a single one of those should be more than enough since you also plan on keeping at least some of your live rock.
Great! Thanks

RONBATTLE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to cut the blocks? I may need to cut in half to make one fit. Wondering how difficult that is
IT WILL CRUMBLE VERY EASILY IF YOU DONT USE A VERY FINE HACKSAW BLADE....LOTS OF CRUMBS AND STUFFFFF

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just put the live rock into the sump. Any of these "nitrate" lowering media products reach a saturation point over time. When this happens your nitrates will skyrocket over night.

OP
OP
MartyF

MartyF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don't you just put the live rock into the sump. Any of these "nitrate" lowering media products reach a saturation point over time. When this happens your nitrates will skyrocket over night.
From what I understand Marine Pure blocks act just like porous live rock and host beneficial bacteria but have even more surface area so you can have less live rock and more room for coral/minimal Aquascapes. It in not a nitrate lowering media and does not have a saturation point much like live rock does not

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I understand Marine Pure blocks act just like porous live rock and host beneficial bacteria but have even more surface area so you can have less live rock and more room for coral/minimal Aquascapes. It in not a nitrate lowering media and does not have a saturation point much like live rock does not

This^^^^

I have two 8x8x4 in my sump. I could probably pull all of my live rock if I wanted to. I have been disappointed that it hasn't seemed to have much affect on my nitrates. When I moved I left one block in my temp tank and added two of the Brightwell bricks in it's place. We'll see how that goes.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youd be surprised how much bacteria are already in your tank. On the glass, in the water, on sand and rocks.

Marine pure, are not pure at all, they release aluminum

Imo you dont need marine pure, its a want.

If you want to lower nitrate use an ats, dose vodka, or get a large macroalgae refugium

MartinWaite

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youd be surprised how much bacteria are already in your tank. On the glass, in the water, on sand and rocks.

Marine pure, are not pure at all, they release aluminum

Imo you dont need marine pure, its a want.

If you want to lower nitrate use an ats, dose vodka, or get a large macroalgae refugium

Cory, MarinePure is inert and doesn't release Aluminium and this has been proved, the instances of aluminium showing up on a Triton ICP test is not proved to be caused by MarinePure and there is nothing to say it is not coming from anything else within the system and could well be from using a Alum based Phosphate remover at some stage. Also there is very little active bacteria in the water and how can it be on the glass I clean mine.

MarinePure is a need if you don't wish to have masses of Live Rock in your system and with the big block will and does reduce Nitrates. Why would you want to rely on dosing your system with Vodka? Personally I'd rather sit down and watch my balanced system and it's live stock with the vodka in a glass that I can hold to my lips and drink! Cheers to you all.

Back