Marine Pure blocks vs Live Rock

miamijaaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 8x8x4 blocks and some of the spheres in the sump of my 200 gallon. I have some but not a lot of formerly live rock in the DT. I added the Marine Pure because I wanted a more minimalist aquascape and more fish swimming room in the DT, and I planned to overstock a little with fish. Even then, I’m now thinking I may have overdone it with the Marine Pure. Phosphates have always read 0 with a Hanna checker and Nitrates currently at 1 and dropping according to testing (have gone from 5 to 2.5 to 1 in a matter of a few weeks—never above 5 no matter how heavy I feed). Have a skimmer too that’s dialed in and Chaeto, which is growing fairly fast, so I know I’m adding a good amount of nutrients.

I’ve got a feeling I’m going to have a heck of a time keeping Nitrates above 0. These blocks work, make no mistake about it. Just don’t overdue it.

jelee01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 8x8x4 blocks and some of the spheres in the sump of my 200 gallon. I have some but not a lot of formerly live rock in the DT. I added the Marine Pure because I wanted a more minimalist aquascape and more fish swimming room in the DT, and I planned to overstock a little with fish. Even then, I’m now thinking I may have overdone it with the Marine Pure. Phosphates have always read 0 with a Hanna checker and Nitrates currently at 1 and dropping according to testing (have gone from 5 to 2.5 to 1 in a matter of a few weeks—never above 5 no matter how heavy I feed). Have a skimmer too that’s dialed in and Chaeto, which is growing fairly fast, so I know I’m adding a good amount of nutrients.

I’ve got a feeling I’m going to have a heck of a time keeping Nitrates above 0. These blocks work, make no mistake about it. Just don’t overdue it.
Hey, I use marine pure as well with good success. Also have 0 to maybe 0.5 nitrates and p04 of 0.02 - 0.03 consistently. Just curious which p04 checker you have? E.g. I use the ULR version that is most accurate for detecting such low levels vs. the std. checker. So if you have the std checker... then the zero reading may be reflective of its error margin when in fact you do have some trace p04. Cheers!

miamijaaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I use marine pure as well with good success. Also have 0 to maybe 0.5 nitrates and p04 of 0.02 - 0.03 consistently. Just curious which p04 checker you have? E.g. I use the ULR version that is most accurate for detecting such low levels vs. the std. checker. So if you have the std checker... then the zero reading may be reflective of its error margin when in fact you do have some trace p04. Cheers!

Thanks for the heads up. I have the low range 713 model, not the ULR. What’s the margin of error on the standard low range checker, do you know? This makes a lot of sense, can’t imagine I’ve had zero phosphates for this long...

jelee01

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the heads up. I have the low range 713 model, not the ULR. What’s the margin of error on the standard low range checker, do you know? This makes a lot of sense, can’t imagine I’ve had zero phosphates for this long...

The Low Range:
  • Range: 0.00 to 2.50 ppm (mg/L)
  • Resolution: 0.01 ppm (mg/L)
  • Precision: ±0.04 ppm (mg/L) ±4% of reading
The ULR version:
  • Range: 0 to 200 ppb
  • Resolution: 1 ppb
  • Accuracy: ±5 ppb ±5% of reading
So, the low range measures parts per million whereas the ULR measures down to parts per billion. The latter being more practical I think for use in our marine systems. The former probably best for freshwater applications I’m guessing. Hope this helps!

source: Bulk Reef Supply product descriptions

Back