Marine pure or rubble

Diggem

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting tank have sump could make it a refugium but was leaning towards just using a skimmer and rubble or Marine pure witch would you use and do you need to light the sump since it's not a true refugium

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pulled my Marine Pure plates after data was showing leaching of aluminum. And it has a tendency to get covered with slime and when you clean it it falls apart, it's very soft.
I'd go with ceramic media like BioMax, etc. Easy to clean. Doesn't fall apart. Works great for building biofilter. I always keep an extra "high flow" mesh bag filled with Biomax in my sump to use in a QT if needed.
You don't really need a light unless you are growing cheato, etc. in your sump.

805nano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the marine pure spheres for two years now and they've held solid, not tested for aluminum but I haven't noticed issues from them, Big G is right that they get covered in slime and need to be cleaned more often than I think other media would. Though I've had positive experience with marine pure if starting new I'd probably go with the seachem matrix instead

Tastee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run Marine Pure spheres in the first chamber of my sump. I did clean them once (rinsed carefully in tank water after a WC) but I have now decided I will simply leave them alone. They appear to help keep my Nitrates down a little, but if nothing else they grow lots of bacteria and have a good pod community in them. Tank is now 17 months old and they seem fine. I have never tested for Aluminium but have not noticed any issues.

divewsharks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a large marine pure block in my sump, it sits under my chaeto so I never clean/touch it; been in there since this tank was set up about 24-27 months ago.
I have done ICP tests on my tank a couple of times, I do see Aluminum in the report, but not at any level that has led to alerts. Shows as not much higher than normal.
I recently through a Brightwell block down there, it is definitely harder than the marine pure block, other than that which is better I do not know.

I have spheres in my nem tank; they have been doing well in there as well. At the very minimum, they house a ton of bacteria and pods.

A sea K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have both, marine pure block used passively in a very low flow area of my return section and rubble in the refugium area. No fancy tests to determine any leaching but system health does not indicate any issues. Tank is past the 2 year mark now.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back