Marinepure block instead of more rock.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to change over to a 75 from 56 gallon. I am wondering if I can add Marinepure blocks in the sump instead of sourcing more rock for the tank. What if I stacked 2 of them on top of each other so I had a 8x8x8 block? I just want the function of 10 pounds of live rock.
All my LFS have are man made rocks or some that look like rocks from my backyard and I dont want to mix that with the rock I have accumulated over 10 years.
My parameters are fine so I am not trying to get anything down. I just want more filtration appropriate for the tank volume.

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fine, but you might not need the extra filtration in the first place. Me personally I would see how the tank does without the blocks for a few months first. There's no shame in adding them later on if need be though. GL.

Last edited:

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s is what I did. I’d be interested to learn from everyone if they use a different bloc than the marine pure. There is also the bloc from Brightwell aquatics and also the Detox Bloc by Aqua Tecture. All of the price points are different but all seem to be doing the same thing??..so why is one more expensive

Suspect

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know why you think you need so much media. There is a whole video BRS did testing the porosity of rocks vs marinepure. I started a 40g QT tank with a cycled piece of marine pure 3x3x1" in size and never had ammonia. Haven't done a water change since setting it up and it has been months.

ugJi6kV.png

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been my long-held view that most tanks have far more rock than is actually necessary for 'filtration appropriate for the tank volume'. Indeed, I have set up most of my reef tanks with far less rock than conventional wisdom would suggest, and have yet to encounter any insufficiencies. My current tank, a 450, has about 200 pounds of rock and almost 100 fish. Guess what, no issues with an inadequate biofilter. I think cloak offers sound advice - see how the tank does and add as necessary. FWIW, I doubt the bacteria are that picky about the substrate they colonize.

Picesduh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know why you think you need so much media. There is a whole video BRS did testing the porosity of rocks vs marinepure. I started a 40g QT tank with a cycled piece of marine pure 3x3x1" in size and never had ammonia. Haven't done a water change since setting it up and it has been months.

ugJi6kV.png

I think he doesn’t have any bloc media now just live rock

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to change over to a 75 from 56 gallon.

Barely a 25% increase in gross volume – just move everything over to the new tank and let corals have more room to grow out.

No need for more media or anything else....just keep doing what your'e doing in the bigger tank.

Keep as much the same as possible.

OP
OP
WVNed

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he doesn’t have any bloc media now just live rock

No I have always added live rock as I went up in size. I have never used Marinepure.

I am sure what I have now will do fine to start since I have no plans to increase the bioload right away. I couldn't tell you how much rock I have accurately because I have bought it many times over the last decade. The rock from my original nanocube is in there. I had rock in the sump with my 200L and 30 gallon tanks but it all went into the 56 gallon when I switched over plus I added a few pieces.

Trickman2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along, I just added some marinepure Spheres to the return section on my sump.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have always added live rock as I went up in size. I have never used Marinepure.

I am sure what I have now will do fine to start since I have no plans to increase the bioload right away. I couldn't tell you how much rock I have accurately because I have bought it many times over the last decade. The rock from my original nanocube is in there. I had rock in the sump with my 200L and 30 gallon tanks but it all went into the 56 gallon when I switched over plus I added a few pieces.

Established stony corals are even better than live rock, so if you have even close to an acceptable amount, you're probably fine. (Might even be fine without all the non-coral rock...I've progressively removed more and more non-coral rock from my system over the years as corals grew out. I do keep a tight control on the bio-load though...it's almost 100% corals, sometimes no fish at all. ;))

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back