Mario's Triton Reef

MarioI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everybody,

I am new to this board, so I'll start with a short introduction of myself:
My name is Mario and I am from Germany. I own a reef tank since 2009, I started with a 30 gallon tank as my first aquarium and since summer 2015 I own a 100 gallon reef.

I am an engineer, therefore I'd like to understand what I am doing with my tank instead of just following somebodys advice without really knowing what it will do to my setup.
So of course I am a big fan of the BRSTV investigates series and also a big fan of the Triton Method.

Because my workplace in Germany is just 5min away from the Triton headquaters, I got in touch with Ehsan and the Triton Method in 2011 and after I understood what he is aming to do, I converted my tank to the Triton Method.

I started my current tank in summer 2015. Of course with Triton.
After it is running now 2,5 years, I'd like to share the results I achieved.

11.2015.jpg

This picture was taken in November 2015. More or less I put all the corals in the tank.

04.2016.jpg

This picture was shot in April 2016. You can see the growth of the corals started quite well.

11.2016.jpg

In November 2016, this is one year after the first picture.

12.2017.jpg

That is the current look of my tank. Now I started to prune and sell some corals, otherwise it just gets to crowded...

Following the wording from BRSTV, I would say my tank is an ULM setup. I am dosing nothing except the products from the Triton Method. I have a doser with Core7 Base Elementz, Strontium and Iodine. Round about every 6 month, I dose some Boron by hand.
I never did any water change and I never dosed anything else (of course I feed my fish...).

sump.jpg

Here you see my sump. First come the refugium, now with a Kessil H380, then the Skimmer (UltraReef Akula 160), the filter with carbon and PO4 adsorber and finally the return pump.

Due to the high concentration of Core7, I have to refill the bottels just every 4 weeks.
My weekly maintenance is to refill fresh water for the Tunze Osmolator and to clean the skimmer. Every 4 weeks, I change the filter media.

led.jpg

I light my tank with a DIY LED. Basically a replica of the first Triton Lani (which was not sold anymore when I setup my tank). It is 180 Watt, passively cooled, 3 channels: cool white, blue and violet.

Until now, everything runs really nicely. Triton gives me the confidence to know what is in my tank and what measures I have to conduct. I do an ICP-OES test round about every 2-3 month. By myself I only measure KH and salinity. At the moment every 2-3 weeks. The tank is very stable so a more frequent measuring does not give any benefit.

I will continue to report the status of my tank to document the long time experience with a modern way of reefkeeping.

Mario

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mario,
Welcome to our Reef 2 Reef family and hope you feel at home.

What part of Germany are you from?
My parents are German and my oldest brother and sister were born in Hamburg.

B-SMOOTH

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow.. those LEDs are a dead ringer for the Lani's :eek::eek::eek:;Jawdrop

JonPhillips

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the refigium first important or can it come after the skimmer?

OP
OP
MarioI

MarioI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What part of Germany are you from?
My parents are German and my oldest brother and sister were born in Hamburg.
I am from the western part of Germany. Just next to Düsseldorf and Cologne.

Is the refigium first important or can it come after the skimmer?
Yes if you follow the Triton Method. You can find detailled information here.

teller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Amazing!
Congratulations @MarioI !
For me LED's should always cover the whole top of a reef tank, just like T5 fixtures, just my opinion.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Absolutely stunning reef! Welcome to R2R! Please keep us updated!

johnsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
Great aquarium!
Can you share more details and photos about your light? I also made two Lani led copies and I'm waiting for my new tank to arrive.

keithdoc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great tank shots!!

Gives me courage to start up Triton Method, and it's great to see proof positive that water changes can be a thing of the past.

Two Questions for you:
1) do you really clean your skimmer each week (or just dump the skimmate cup)?
2) are you pulling out equivalent volume of tank water to offset what you're dosing?

OP
OP
MarioI

MarioI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try to add some photos of my light during the weekend.

Two Questions for you:
1) do you really clean your skimmer each week (or just dump the skimmate cup)?
2) are you pulling out equivalent volume of tank water to offset what you're dosing?

I clean the skimmer cup every week. Of course not the whole skimmer... Just dumpe the skimmate and clean it under clean water with a brush.
Yes, I remove round about 4 liters of water every week to avoid an increase of salinity. The volume can be calculated on the Triton homepage.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back