Maroon clown and Lunar wrasse?

jpetterson4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, i have a 50 gallon saltwater talk with an adult female maroon clown in there. I have a 100 gallon i plan to set up in coming months and a buddy of mine wants to get rid of a smaller lunar wrasse. The wrasse is around 3 and a half inches big and the clown is massive at around 5 inches. Do you think the wrasse will give her any trouble? I don't want any harm
coming to here. First post thanks for the advice in advance

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know. Both of my clownfish are a lot smaller at under 3", and from what I understand the maroon clowns can be particularly vicious. I'd probably be less concerned about what the wrasse may do. Is the maroon the only fish in the 50-gallon?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there, i have a 50 gallon saltwater talk with an adult female maroon clown in there. I have a 100 gallon i plan to set up in coming months and a buddy of mine wants to get rid of a smaller lunar wrasse. The wrasse is around 3 and a half inches big and the clown is massive at around 5 inches. Do you think the wrasse will give her any trouble? I don't want any harm
I don't think that you will face any issues. To increase your chances of it going good I would suggest introducing them both at the same time to the 100 gallon, once its ready.

OP
OP
J

jpetterson4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly don't know. Both of my clownfish are a lot smaller at under 3", and from what I understand the maroon clowns can be particularly vicious. I'd probably be less concerned about what the wrasse may do. Is the maroon the only fish in the 50-gallon?
Yes she's the only fish.

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
moroons are unpredictable, but my son has a 40 cube, a lightening maroon, a coral beauty, and two cardinals

no hostility, except to the back of his hand when it gets in the tank

wrasses need rubble and sand to hide in

kingjoe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning to add the wrasse to the 50 gallon it could be a problem- the clown is the only fish in the tank, and maroons can be very territorial. However, if you're thinking of introducing the two of them to the 100 gallon together, they should be fine.

OP
OP
J

jpetterson4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update. They are doing great! My maroon is a previous breeding fish from my school they raised her and had her for about 4 years. The wrasse nipped at her once and she taught him a lesson then but no aggression at all sense then. From my understanding she must be super docile for a maroon clown? Comes right up to the glass and begs for food whenever i'm in the room and i have a camera set up so i could watch them when i'm not here and they never were aggressive.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%
Back