Maroun.c 400 G build thread

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all.
Starting a long planned 390G display tank, in Lebanon a country till recently very limited in Saltwater tanks equipment and livestock. Luckily I'm a frequent traveller and managed to pick up a nice collection from my travel over the years. Big thanks to all reefers I met on travel and who asisted me by sharing frags or indicating the nicest LFS to visit as well as receiving me in their houses to show me their tanks.
Some history,
First Saltwater tank
80 G 1998-2008:

tank-feb-03.jpg

Relocated for 3 years to Dubai with tank running at my parents home, Came back in 2005 and upgraded to a 150 G tank:
DSC_8932.jpg

By mid 2009 Tank was moved to my parents house and acted as a holding tank awaiting the final upgrade and move.
DSC_8367.jpg

Didn't regret starting the tank as at least I managed to collect nice collection of corals from visit to the states, Holland, Spain, Germany, Vienna,...

Back to the new 390
Dimensions
88"x34"x30"
Starphire Front and Side pannels
External side overflow
Additional Sump, fuges, Frag tank and connected tank for automated water changes will bring up the total system volume to around 660G

Tank will be the center piece of the recption area with 2 seating areas and a dining area all designed to have the tank visible from most of the seats... As tank was planned during building construction I was able to incorporate some of the tubing and electrical in walls and under ground which will make for easier tank maintenance.
So basically here's whats already done:

-4 x 4" vent tubes 2 for stand and 2 for canopy (won't really ahve a canopy on the tank but a whole open space till ceiling hidden by a front cover, this should minimize overheating and allow for humidity and heat dissipation.
-Dedicated High load electrical lines from building supply so that any issues in house will not affect the tank. Witha couple more lines hooked to backup generator and UPS as we have daily power failures.
-3x 1 inch tubing in wall to fish room in attick
-Drain to house drainage for easier water changes.
-underfloor tubing to kitchen where RODI will be installed with possible connection to basement where I'll have a frag system setup with water mixing tanks and water storage...
to begin with some pictures of the positioning plans:
Room design

chahines-4.jpg

Lighting aligned with the tank:

chahines-3.jpg

Decided to go with a tank protruding from the cabinetry instead a full inwall setup as it gave it a more dynamic look.
chahines-1.jpg

And a hand drawn sketch

DSC_9049.jpg

The scary start,

DSC_1964.jpg

IMAGE_097.jpg

DSC_1965.jpg

DSC_1967.jpg

P6240108.jpg

Drain

P6240111.jpg

P6240110.jpg

P6240109.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks,
Loads of work indeed.

Glass Arrived,

DSC_4889.jpg

Big difference between Starphire and regular glass. Starphire does get a greenish tint when placed clsoe to greenish glass...
DSC_4895.jpg

DSC_4901.jpg

DSC_4896.jpg

DSC_4898.jpg

DSC_5218.jpg

And my assistants rushing to pose in front of the glass any time I hold the camera.
DSC_4907.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank was assembled on site by an old friend who sets up and maintains some breathtaking tanks. His perfectionism and attention to detail were just amazing. My tank sure reflects this.

DSC_5220.jpg

DSC_5221.jpg

DSC_5222.jpg

DSC_5224.jpg

DSC_5225.jpg

DSC_5226.jpg

Under the close watch of the wife:
DSC_5227.jpg

DSC_5228.jpg

DSC_5230.jpg

tank assembly was quite fast 6 minutes from first silicone laid on glass till last pannel is installed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand was delivered.
4x4 cm 3mm think steel (1.6x1.6 inch 1/8" steel bars)
Was 2.5 inches taller than ordered so had to cut down a bit from the legs, hopefully that won't make it very hard to clean under it.
Also wasn't impressed by the epoxy paint they did so had it resanded and repainted on site by 3 coats of epoxy. which took a few days to get done.

10032011045.jpg

DSC_5121.jpg

DSC_5124.jpg

No positioning conflicts between in wall setup and stand excpet that the added length would have placed the tank top too close to the vents so I decided to have it cut ddown to the requested height 36inch (90cm)

20042011106.jpg

20042011108.jpg

DSC_5125.jpg

Have used Leveling feet on my 150 G tank however with the added weight of this tank I was afraid it would fail or that the screw threads would break so will be shimming the tank.
Will use this Russian Marine plywood under the tank:
DSC_5195.jpg

and this one under the sump
DSC_5192.jpg

They both have the unsealed sides where they were cut. Is there any need to seal those and what would you use:
DSC_5191.jpg

DSC_5190.jpg

I'm planning to use some type of aluminum fiber and a thick rubber on top of it belwo the feet. The aluminum fiber is very thin and I can add more or less to level the tand and the rubber will serve to equalize pressure under the feet which are covered by a steel sheet.
Any comment or recommendations on other material to be used?

Last edited:

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, the tank looks great. I wish i had some friends that could help me build a tank in 6 minutes. Love the shot of your stand on the roof of the car. Been there before

bob

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, the tank looks great. I wish i had some friends that could help me build a tank in 6 minutes. Love the shot of your stand on the roof of the car. Been there before

bob

Thanks. the guy is a Professional tank builder still.
Actually was shocked when I saw them bring the stand this way!!! you would imagine a small pickup... Still happy it arrived fine.

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rememeber bringing home my first tank. A 55 gal in the back seat of my convertible. Got some crazy looks. Looking forward to the rest of your build

bob

OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Jim,
For Equipment will start with what I currently have on my 150 + a few upgrades.
For flow it'll be my current MP40 and a couple of Tunzes 6105 and an over the back Oceans motions which I might remove when I add 1-2 MP60s.
Filtration will start with my Hurricone CAT1 to be upgraded to eiither a Deltec TC2560 or a SRO 5000 xp.
Lighting will be Lumenbrights 250s on Coralvue Dimmable ballasts.
No fish list yet, but will start with all the fish in my current 150G.

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking great, Maroun! I can't wait to see this up and running. One day ill fly out there and see it in person. :D

Sonny

Thanks Sunny,
Would be very ahppy to show you the tank !!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back to the tank,

Some pics after the masking tape was taken off the seams, minutes after tank was assembled.
I can clearly see huge difference in the glass, much more than visible on pics between back wall and other panels. Can’t wait to shoot some pics of corals in it.
DSC_5232.jpg

DSC_5233.jpg

DSC_5238.jpg

Eurobracing installed. Space kept on the left side for easier manipulation of tubing coming out of overflow, as well to use the brace to support screen material to prevent fish from jumping in overflow.
DSC_5467.jpg

DSC_5470.jpg

DSC_5472.jpg

DSC_5473.jpg

DSC_5474.jpg

DSC_5475.jpg

Silicone that burst out from the seams was cleaned with a blade after it dried out for days and I could see for the first time how clean the seams turned out:

DSC_5478.jpg

DSC_5479.jpg

I'm hoping that upon filling the tank no bowing will occur causing us to add front to back braces. Got a couple of those on my current tank adn its annoyijng to move corals or rocks or while cleaning the glass...

Last edited:
OP
OP
maroun.c

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry DP.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back