Marvin's Reefer 250

landlocked303

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of getting the 250 but have hesitated because I think I would appreciate a different sump set-up that better accommodates a refugium. I feel guilty about spending the money for the whole 250 system to then spend more money to use a different sump. Those with 250's what are your thoughts about the sump it comes with?

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been thinking of getting the 250 but have hesitated because I think I would appreciate a different sump set-up that better accommodates a refugium. I feel guilty about spending the money for the whole 250 system to then spend more money to use a different sump. Those with 250's what are your thoughts about the sump it comes with?
I personally went with a different sump because I like the look of Synergy Reef sumps and also because I wanted to fit more equipment, nothing against Red Sea sumps. The person who has more experience with them is @pelphrey . Also, a lot of people use their ATO as refugium and I think that's a pretty awesome way to add a refugium to the systems without having to buy one.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! Good choice with the GF+ diaphragm valves. I receive a lot of inquiries regarding these valves.
They look even better in person. I have to thank you for sharing such amazing valves!

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick picture of some of the equipment I will be using for this build
fullsizeoutput_8be.jpeg

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!!! That cheato reactor is top notch! Well it all is! Hah

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally my sump has arrived! I went through so much problems with FedEx to get this delivered but finally it is here. As always the amazing customer service from Synergy Reef was helping deal with FedEx who "lost" my package and I say lost because everyday it would show as "Out for delivery" but it was never even attempted and after many calls all what they would say is that they didn't know where the package really was. In the end, Synergy Reef was able to get in contact with FedEx and get this delivered. Vanessa was always helpful keeping me updated on the status of the shipment. Once I received the box and I was finally able to open it, the only think I could think when I saw the sump was "It was worth it".

During the planing of this build I had though of going with another sump, this was mainly due to the lead time many custom sumps have, so I went ahead and I ordered it but when I saw it out of the box I didn't really think it was what I was looking for, it was a nice sump but just not what I wanted at the moment. So, I decided to search for something different and that's when I found @dmw913 . I have to say that her build really inspired me to say "Ok, I will wait 3 weeks to get a custom sump".

I'm so happy I took that decision, the sump is amazing. All the thought put into the design, the finishing, and quality of the materials is incredible!

Sump: SS-34, shortened to 31", in white & atomic green as color, and with a flipped layout.

IMG_4452.JPG

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! That sump looks killer! Plumbing it this weekend?

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! That sump looks killer! Plumbing it this weekend?
Thanks! I think I will be plumbing it next week since I haven't ordered any plumbing supplies yet. I wasn't, and I'm still not sure how I will be arranging the valves so I think I will be doing that tomorrow and hopefully I will be ordering the PVC on Sunday. I was thinking on getting Sche 80 PVC and go with the standard grey but I'm not completely sure, any suggestions?

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally my sump has arrived! I went through so much problems with FedEx to get this delivered but finally it is here. As always the amazing customer service from Synergy Reef was helping deal with FedEx who "lost" my package and I say lost because everyday it would show as "Out for delivery" but it was never even attempted and after many calls all what they would say is that they didn't know where the package really was. In the end, Synergy Reef was able to get in contact with FedEx and get this delivered. Vanessa was always helpful keeping me updated on the status of the shipment. Once I received the box and I was finally able to open it, the only think I could think when I saw the sump was "It was worth it".

During the planing of this build I had though of going with another sump, this was mainly due to the lead time many custom sumps have, so I went ahead and I ordered it but when I saw it out of the box I didn't really think it was what I was looking for, it was a nice sump but just not what I wanted at the moment. So, I decided to search for something different and that's when I found @dmw913 . I have to say that her build really inspired me to say "Ok, I will wait 3 weeks to get a custom sump".

I'm so happy I took that decision, the sump is amazing. All the thought put into the design, the finishing, and quality of the materials is incredible!

Sump: SS-34, shortened to 31", in white & atomic green as color, and with a flipped layout.

IMG_4452.JPG
@mrvn, thanks so much for the shout out! The sump looks amazing and the folks at Synergy are simply the best. I am still really, really happy with my sump and now that my tank chemistry is on point, things are moving forward! Can't wait to watch the rest of your build come together and progress!

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I finally had some more time to play around with the equipment and I also verified that all equipment would fit.

IMG_4458.JPG
IMG_4457.JPG
IMG_4456.JPG

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been too busy at work and I just got a chance yesterday to order everything for my plumbing. I also ordered some marinepure biomedia (spheres) that I'm planning on keeping on the bubble trap of the sump.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took some pictures last week but I just didnt have any time to post them. I installed one of my old AI Primes and also 2 MP40 wQD on each side of the thank. I'm not sure I will leave them there, any suggestions on the placement?

fullsizeoutput_8ca.jpeg

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mrvn, following. I've got three Primes on my RSR 250 and I'm going to get some PAR values soon with my Seneye.
Let me know how it goes, I'm not sure if I should change the lights on this tank I wanted to switch to Radions or to Kessil but if the PAR is good with three Primes I will just add another one to my existing two. Are your Primes the HD version or the previous version?

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I received some items from BRS, among those I got some marine pure biofilter spheres which I placed in my sump today

fullsizeoutput_8db.jpeg

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm ready to start plumbing this tank. Not my favorite part of the build but needs to be done, I'll probably work on this over the week and make a leak test next week once everything is completely cured.

IMG_4496.JPG

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back