Marvin's Reefer 250

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm ready to start plumbing this tank. Not my favorite part of the build but needs to be done, I'll probably work on this over the week and make a leak test next week once everything is completely cured.

IMG_4496.JPG

Plumbing is my favorite part. Too bad I wasn't your neighbor... I would come do it for a 44 oz gas station fountain Diet Pepsi lol.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me know how it goes, I'm not sure if I should change the lights on this tank I wanted to switch to Radions or to Kessil but if the PAR is good with three Primes I will just add another one to my existing two. Are your Primes the HD version or the previous version?
Primes are not HD. These are backup lights and one of the three goes on my frag tank when I get it set up. Definitely going with Radion X15's.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plumbing is my favorite part. Too bad I wasn't your neighbor... I would come do it for a 44 oz gas station fountain Diet Pepsi lol.
What if I offer you TWO 44 oz gas station fountain Diet Pepsi to come to NY....? lol Any advice on where to start ? Also, when I was shopping for PVC I thought of converting the three pipes installed inside the overflow into a bean animal overflow and have some sort of HOB return, but I couldn't find any information related to that so I just dismissed the idea. Do you think it would have work?

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Broadfield , Come on, Toby! Diet Coke FTW! I'll throw in a gas station hamburger and some nachos if you drop by and tidy up some of my stuff!!!

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, @mrvn, I'm so jealous of the ARID! I never even considered it could run on its side like that. Can't wait to get your feedback when it's up and running. Might have to send Santa a link for that one!

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if I offer you TWO 44 oz gas station fountain Diet Pepsi to come to NY....? lol Any advice on where to start ? Also, when I was shopping for PVC I thought of converting the three pipes installed inside the overflow into a bean animal overflow and have some sort of HOB return, but I couldn't find any information related to that so I just dismissed the idea. Do you think it would have work?

@Broadfield , Come on, Toby! Diet Coke FTW! I'll throw in a gas station hamburger and some nachos if you drop by and tidy up some of my stuff!!!

LOL, you peeps just live too far away.

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was just revisiting your build items. Couldn't agree more on the second MP40. That was an oversight on my part initially and the second one is arriving on Monday. Any thoughts yet on how you are going to set up your flow?

I'm getting close to being ready to finally install my doser. I see that you are considering the GHL 2. I'll let you know what I think of the 2.1 when it's up and running (probably after MACNA). You may want to consider going with 2.1 for longer life as GHL is just releasing a new dKH monitor compatible with their dosers that looks amazing!
I got mine on the forum here brand new for the same price as the 2.0. Just a thought.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/08/08/kh-director-is-ghls-entry-into-the-alkalinity-monitor-frontier/

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, @mrvn, I'm so jealous of the ARID! I never even considered it could run on its side like that. Can't wait to get your feedback when it's up and running. Might have to send Santa a link for that one!
I hope it works! If @Broadfield hurries with my plumbing I will be filling the tank next weekend and I will check the ARID to see if there's any leaks or problems caused by being placed horizontally. I'll let you know how that goes so you can start your wishlist for Sant ;)

Was just revisiting your build items. Couldn't agree more on the second MP40. That was an oversight on my part initially and the second one is arriving on Monday. Any thoughts yet on how you are going to set up your flow?

I'm getting close to being ready to finally install my doser. I see that you are considering the GHL 2. I'll let you know what I think of the 2.1 when it's up and running (probably after MACNA). You may want to consider going with 2.1 for longer life as GHL is just releasing a new dKH monitor compatible with their dosers that looks amazing!
I got mine on the forum here brand new for the same price as the 2.0. Just a thought.

https://reefbuilders.com/2017/08/08/kh-director-is-ghls-entry-into-the-alkalinity-monitor-frontier/
I'm still not sure about the set up for my flow since I might make some changes on my aquascape. I'm considering on moving the MP40s to the back since having two on the sides is kind of annoying, I feel like two MP10s would be better but unfortunately the glass is too thick for them. Thanks for the info on the dKH monitor I hadn't seen it ! I'm definitely getting a 2.1 now !

dmw913

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it works! If @Broadfield hurries with my plumbing I will be filling the tank next weekend and I will check the ARID to see if there's any leaks or problems caused by being placed horizontally. I'll let you know how that goes so you can start your wishlist for Sant ;)

I'm still not sure about the set up for my flow since I might make some changes on my aquascape. I'm considering on moving the MP40s to the back since having two on the sides is kind of annoying, I feel like two MP10s would be better but unfortunately the glass is too thick for them. Thanks for the info on the dKH monitor I hadn't seen it ! I'm definitely getting a 2.1 now !
I really like your current placement of the MP40s. I think the low/high juxtaposition makes a lot of sense. I assume you're going to do a split return, yes? I like the ability to send that water front to back in multiple directions with the side to side of the MP40s. I agree they look a little like tank earmuffs but can't figure out to make things work any better and be less obtrusive.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally, I got a chance to work on the plumbing this weekend. Unfortunately, I forgot to order the PVC cement lol. For now I'm holding everything with tape. I'm thinking on adding maybe one or two more unions in some parts. @Broadfield can you see any areas for improvement? This is my first time hard plumbing so I'm not sure if everything is right
IMG_4533.JPG
IMG_4534.JPG
IMG_4535.JPG

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't think of any reason to need any sort of valve on the return. The valve on the main drain is what will be used to match the flow through overflow to that of the pump.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't think of any reason to need any sort of valve on the return. The valve on the main drain is what will be used to match the flow through overflow to that of the pump.
I was thinking of using it to add some head pressure to provide more water to the manifold if needed. Do you think it would work?

Broadfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of using it to add some head pressure to provide more water to the manifold if needed. Do you think it would work?

Your gate valve for each reactor will dictate how much flow goes through them... no need to create a pseudo back pressure if you will. Maybe there's some other advantage to having one on the return, but I can't think of any.

With that being said, it's not going to hurt anything to have it there and opened all of the way... that's assuming it doesn't restrict flow at all when it's fully open.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your gate valve for each reactor will dictate how much flow goes through them... no need to create a pseudo back pressure if you will. Maybe there's some other advantage to having one on the return, but I can't think of any.
Thanks! Should I just remove it from there and keep it as spare for the return? Or should just leave it? Sorry, im asking too much as I said I never hard plumb a tank before

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build is coming along nicely!! I can't wait to see the plumbing setup! What will you be using for ATO water?

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The build is coming along nicely!! I can't wait to see the plumbing setup! What will you be using for ATO water?
Thanks! I'm currently working on cementing all the PVC and while I do that I'm making water to make a leak test. I hope I have everything test running tomorrow.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot to answer the ATO question, I was too busy at work lol. I'm not sure yet, I like the ATO released by apex but it doesn't have too many good reviews. The ATO from Tunze looks like a solid option right now.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks amazing. I'm also in the "I hate plumbing" club. The pvc glue/cement stuff is the worst. Always smells so bad and I get so nervous working with it. Also measuring everything is a big pain. I'd pay a lot of 44 oz. of diet pepsis for someone to do it for me =)

Following along!

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely forgot to answer the ATO question, I was too busy at work lol. I'm not sure yet, I like the ATO released by apex but it doesn't have too many good reviews. The ATO from Tunze looks like a solid option right now.

I have the Tunze, I had to learn not to shut it down for water changes. It primes every time it starts back up, so I fill my sump higher than the sensor and remove water! Now that I have the Neptune FMM for flow sensors and leak detectors I may look at the Neptune optical sensor and try it out for an ATO and use a switch on my breakout box to stop the ATO function. Not sure yet!

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Tunze, I had to learn not to shut it down for water changes. It primes every time it starts back up, so I fill my sump higher than the sensor and remove water! Now that I have the Neptune FMM for flow sensors and leak detectors I may look at the Neptune optical sensor and try it out for an ATO and use a switch on my breakout box to stop the ATO function. Not sure yet!
Let me know how it goes. I will be filling the tank tomorrow. I have a few more pipes to cement and I will do my leak test.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back