Marvin's Reefer 250

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! I just got the Neptune COR20 pump on my tank. Neptune has sucked me in! Ha

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice!! I just got the Neptune COR20 pump on my tank. Neptune has sucked me in! Ha
I want to get an Apex but I think I'll have to wait until christmas for it o_O

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally I got a chance to work on the plumbing after I received the PVC cement on Wednesday. I'm only waiting for the pipe that connects the return to the pump since it's currently curing. Also, I was working on a manifold but since I will not be using my two reactor that I used to have I will not be completing that part of the plumbing at the moment. I left however a line with valve installed to be able to install the manifold later in the future if needed.

fullsizeoutput_95c.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_95b.jpeg

Also, while working with the PVC fittings I found some white thumb screws so I replace the black thumb screws that the sump included for some of the white ones to match the rest of the colors on the acrylic.

fullsizeoutput_95d.jpeg

Other things that have changed as I mentioned before are my two reactors. At the beginning, I was planning on using a Pax Bellum reactor to export nutrients however, after giving it some thought I decided that I wanted to go with the zeovit system instead. As result I sold my two reactors (Pax Bellum & Vertex Media Reactor) since zeovit does not suggest the use of a reactor to run carbon and instead I will be using a zeovit reactor.

fullsizeoutput_95e.jpeg

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! Good job! I'm super jealous of all the sump space, I did some work in my sump today. It's such a pain! One of two things will happen, this reefer sump will get replaced or on my next tank the sump will be bigger! Haha

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great!! Good job! I'm super jealous of all the sump space, I did some work in my sump today. It's such a pain! One of two things will happen, this reefer sump will get replaced or on my next tank the sump will be bigger! Haha
I feel your pain! In my previous tank I had a smaller sump and it was a nightmare to work in there, specially because I used to have a Vertex 130 which barely fitted. If I moved it 1/8" the pump would touch the acrylic and it would be so loud.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do the Zeovit method too at a time when a lot of people are getting into the Triton method. I don't have the room for a refugium so that's out and Zeovit gives an ULNS which is what I want. I have a Skimz reactor which will run off my return manifold and will become my backup when I get an Avast Vibe reactor.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going to do the Zeovit method too at a time when a lot of people are getting into the Triton method. I don't have the room for a refugium so that's out and Zeovit gives an ULNS which is what I want. I have a Skimz reactor which will run off my return manifold and will become my backup when I get an Avast Vibe reactor.
I originally was going to go Triton but I feel more attracted to Zeovit, I will be using a vertex zeolite reactor since I want it to match some of my equipment.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Earlier today I received my zeovit reactor as well as some supplements from KZ. I installed it and this is basically all the equipment I'll have in the sump (besides some probes for the apex). Also, I finally decided to get an Apex. I feel like I need to be able to monitor better my tank when I'm not around so I went ahead and I ordered it.

For a few weeks I've been thinking on what ATO at first I liked the ATK by Neptune Systems but the reviews werent that great so I had planned to go with a Tunze however, since I got an Apex I went with the ATK. I hope having an Apex will help improve some of the complaints I read on the reviews.

Finally, I also ordered a DOS. My plan at the beginning was to buy a GHL but again since I'm getting an Apex I feel like a DOS would be easier to control and program.

My sump as today

IMG_4653.JPG

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what KZ additives are you dosing currently?
I'm only dosing Zeobak and Zeostart in combination with the zeolites that I have running in a Vertex reactor. I'm not dosing Zeofood since I still don't introduce any corals.

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I ordered a few items which I was expecting to arrive next week. However, today after coming home from a family dinner I found my package in my front door!! Luckily for me I have just picked up a small cabinet from IKEA in which I will be installing everything.

fullsizeoutput_9ab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9aa.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9a1.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_9c9.jpeg

I have to say that I don't have any experience with Apex so any advice any of you might have is welcome.

powers2001

started reefing 1999
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodies!! I love goodies!! I have some advice for Apex users: print out a hard copy of the entire userguide/manual. IIRC (if I recall correctly) it's about 200 pages and if you can print on both sides of the paper and have it bound at a copy shop you're golden. I refer to my userguide constantly. Also the Neptune Systems community forum is great help. Here's a link:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/

Here's a link to the new User Guide:

https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goodies!! I love goodies!! I have some advice for Apex users: print out a hard copy of the entire userguide/manual. IIRC (if I recall correctly) it's about 200 pages and if you can print on both sides of the paper and have it bound at a copy shop you're golden. I refer to my userguide constantly. Also the Neptune Systems community forum is great help. Here's a link:

https://forum.neptunesystems.com/

Here's a link to the new User Guide:

https://www.neptunesystems.com/downloads/docs/Comprehensive_Reference_Manual.pdf
Thank you! I'll print it out and hopefully I can start programming the Apex.

ryboy707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This build is amazing!!! I'm going to definitely go custom sump when I purchase my next red sea reefer thanks to your inspirational build with all the top of the line equipment. I can't wait to see your apex mounting ideas

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the sump and toys! @mrvn any updates?

OP
OP
mrvn

mrvn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Marvin, how's it going with the Apex?
So far I've plugged some equipment but I haven't have time to play around with the programming. I have some basic program for the ATK, for the heater, and to run the t5's. I'm planning on getting a breakout box to install a float switch in the skimmer in case it overflows for any reason, and also a WXM module to have better controllability of the MP40s.

Love the sump and toys! @mrvn any updates?
I haven't gotten any corals yet since I've been to busy to start testing and dosing so that part of the tank hasn't changed. However, my wife got me some new fish: sunburst anthia, pintail wrasse, and a powder blue tang. I'm planning on returning the powder blue to the FS since I think my tank is too small for the powder blue, it is a small tang but I already have a small purple tang which is the only tang I'm planning on keeping in a tank of this size. I was also considering on returning the sunburst but since it is a tiny specimen (1") I might keep it for a while. I have to say that even with all the food that I'm adding to the tank everyday, nutrients are still almost undetectable and I haven't had any algae issues.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back