OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update. The 3 amigos (chromis, Melanarus, and foxface) are all still alive in qt. The Melanarus has been in hiding the entire time but I did see him at lunch today. Is it normal for the fish to act super skittish or crazy if there is any movement? The Foxface and Melanarus have both darted erratically around tank when I’ve taken cover off to feed. They just started that in last couple of days. The chromis acts normal and eats everything. The Foxface has had heavy breathing since day one. I worry about him. He did eat good the first week and now he ignores it

how long do I keep them in copper?

OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, and the other chromis is still alive in the main display. Between my schedule and not having another pump to pump water back into the tank, I’ve haven’t yet drained the whole thing down again. I tried a trap and the only things it caught was shrimp and snails. This guy is super scared since the last time I drained it. He never comes out of the rocks.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well from what I have read unless you have yet another tank to move them to you would keep them in copper for 30 days. Once done with that you should do 2 treatments of PraziPro to deworm them. I also did a 3 week metro treatment during the copper. If you had another tank to use for holding you could do 14 days of copper and move them to copper-less holding for another 14 days.

OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. I finally got the lone chromis out of the DT. I tried using frozen food on a treble hook and fishing line to catch him. It almost worked! But like my usually fishing luck, couldn’t set the hook!
Had to drain all the water out until he was almost dry.
then I thought, probably can’t just drop him into full copper load. So I dripped into a bucket.
Crossed my fingers and put him in the qt tank, and what happens? The other dang chromis starts nipping at him! Ugh. Checked on them next day and all are doing well

the countdown starts on the main display!

OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: All 4 fish are still alive. Really kicking myself for not getting this qt setup sooner. But didn’t know what was killing my fish to start. Might have been able to save a couple more fish. Live and learn.

since it took me forever to catch the lone wolf chromis and get him in qt, do I need to extend the copper treatment for 30 days after I added the last fish. Even if he wasn’t showing any signs of velvet?

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am no expert, but I would. Happy to hear you made it so far. I feel the same way about my fish, why didn't I do this sooner. We finally finished our 30 days of copper and moved on to Prazipro.

OP
OP
HighChiefKC

HighChiefKC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Had a spur of the moment vacation pop up, so I couldn’t leave fish in qt tank because nothing was automated and I had no one to take care of fish while I was gone

I was at the minimum 45 days fallow period for the display tank, so on Christmas Eve I transferred the 4 fish over to the main display. Came back from vacation on the 4th and everyone is doing great!
Thanks to everyone that helped me with this tragedy and a lot was learned from this!

Privateye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Extremely glad to hear it! As someone that's been through your experience before, I applaud you for going through with it. Not everyone hears about the hassle and actually does it, but quarantine and fishless DT is worth it every time. You saved them!

As for the time, 45 days was enough for my issue when I learned 10 years ago. It depends on multiple factors such as microbe strain and temperature though. If your DT temps remained pretty warm, that speeds up the life cycle (and thus the death/starvation) of the microbe.

Again, great news! You're set up to safely quarantine new fish in the future too! For 10 years I have properly quarantined all new fish, and I haven't had a repeat episode since the first time. You learned quickly and you will be rewarded long-term.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back