Mastertronic users thread

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
ALKATRONIC USES ABOUT 60ML OF WATER TO PERFORM A TEST

Thanks. Do you know about the Mastertronic?

Presumably it draws a new water sample for each test? And the water volume doesn’t appear to be related to the test where the reagent comes from (you get a lot fewer tests using the Salifert reagents with Mastertronic than you do using the same kit manually) so I assume it is a fixed amount per test?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Do you know about the Mastertronic?

Presumably it draws a new water sample for each test? And the water volume doesn’t appear to be related to the test where the reagent comes from (you get a lot fewer tests using the Salifert reagents with Mastertronic than you do using the same kit manually) so I assume it is a fixed amount per test?
I don't know about the Mastertronic. You might want to send CoralVue an email and see if they can assist you.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't know about the Mastertronic. You might want to send CoralVue an email and see if they can assist you.

Lol. I think I’ve got more chance of going to the moon without a spacecraft than getting any worthwhile support from Coralvue.

I might send Focustronic an email, but I was hoping that someone here might know. Surely anyone who runs a Mastertronic will know how much sample water it uses; I’m surprised it’s not in the manual.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Crikey.

I’ve just checked the Coralvue website and the spares are 3x the cost they are being sold in Europe :oops:

For example:

Needle set from Coralvue is $28.75. The same set in Europe is €8.57 ($9.73).

That is just ridiculous!!

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
So both were available at CoralVue yesterday and I was lucky to see the email immediately. Hoping to receive soon and see if I can put them through its paces so to speak.

It's all out of stock already as of this morning. Either they get very few units at a clip or the demand for it is great that they disappear right off the dock.

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Crikey.

I’ve just checked the Coralvue website and the spares are 3x the cost they are being sold in Europe :oops:

For example:

Needle set from Coralvue is $28.75. The same set in Europe is €8.57 ($9.73).

That is just ridiculous!!
What store was selling them at that price in Europe?

OP
OP
M

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol. I think I’ve got more chance of going to the moon without a spacecraft than getting any worthwhile support from Coralvue.

I might send Focustronic an email, but I was hoping that someone here might know. Surely anyone who runs a Mastertronic will know how much sample water it uses; I’m surprised it’s not in the manual.
I think the reason it is not described in the manual is that it might vary by element being tested. I understand that they use more RO water, sample water and more reagent than doing a manual test to achieve more precision.
Can you elaborate on the question? Are you concerned about the size of the RO water container or the amount of salt water being pulled from your tank. Do you have a nano tank?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is one example but they’re pretty much the same everywhere. Some stores in Europe have them listed at about €10 but they take the tax off iff shipping outside the EU.

Look at the silicone disks as well. €3.75 for a pack of 4, whereas Coralvue has them for $2.30 EACH!!

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think the reason it is not described in the manual is that it might vary by element being tested. I understand that they use more RO water, sample water and more reagent than doing a manual test to achieve more precision.
Can you elaborate on the question? Are you concerned about the size of the RO water container or the amount of salt water being pulled from your tank. Do you have a nano tank?

There is enough room in the manual for a lot more info. e.g. how does it work (I’ve pretty much worked that out but it’s not entirely clear)? How much reagent is used per test? How much RO is used? How much saltwater is used?

They recommend a 5 gal bucket for the RO and a separate 5 gal bucket for the waste. That seems like a lot of rinse water but it doesn’t say how long they think that 5 gal bucket will last.

You are correct in that I have a nano tank, so the amount of test water drawn is a relevant factor. It also may help to answer the other question that you’ve eluded to; in particular, the KH test uses a lot more of the Salifert reagent than you would use if testing manually.

EDIT: It might all be a bit irrelevant if the whole US stock from the latest delivery has sold out in one day!!

Last edited:

sector9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is enough room in the manual for a lot more info. e.g. how does it work (I’ve pretty much worked that out but it’s not entirely clear)? How much reagent is used per test? How much RO is used? How much saltwater is used?

They recommend a 5 gal bucket for the RO and a separate 5 gal bucket for the waste. That seems like a lot of rinse water but it doesn’t say how long they think that 5 gal bucket will last.

You are correct in that I have a nano tank, so the amount of test water drawn is a relevant factor. It also may help to answer the other question that you’ve eluded to; in particular, the KH test uses a lot more of the Salifert reagent than you would use if testing manually.

EDIT: It might all be a bit irrelevant if the whole US stock from the latest delivery has sold out in one day!!
The current Mastertronic manual recommends at least a 5 L container of RO and 5 L waste container, not gallons. 5L is less than 1.5 gallons

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I was lucky enough to pickup both last week, jury is still out.

For anybody interested there is one for sale on R2R

rocket098

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had similar problems with connection to wifi, problem with hard reset, and wonky app. But after I've get past that, it's looking promising. Now it's working for few days and we getting to know each other :)
how did you solve the WiFi connection issue? I go through the steps but it doesn’t appear under devices in the app. Thanks

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the Mastertronic and Alkatronic. I absolutely love the alkatronic.

They are definitely not intuitive and can be quite frustrating when you first start. The good news is that the community is great at helping fix the issue.

Once you are used to it, I think it is a great tool to maintain consistent parameters for your tank. Out of all the options out there right now, the Mastertronic will still be my top choice for what I need.

Full disclosure, I have not checked the reading with ICP but plan to do so soon.

The only big one that I worry about is the Alk which is alkatronic is very good at measuring correctly (+- .5 to the Hanna), but again it comes down to consistency.

Do I regret buying them? No. I'm actually looking to get two more for my other system.

I know this post was about a year ago but just wondering if any of the updates have helped with some of the problems people of had. In your opinion does your unit run better and have less problems? Would you still recommend getting a Mastertronic?

paul01609

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good update api nitrate test Kit now added to mastertronic

jcolliii

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have to say, I really like my unit, BUT... lots of small issues for other people considering buying one.

1. The Android app *SUCKS*. It routinely freezes, requiring an app restart to be able to do anything. It is exceptionally slow - I usually have to wait between 20 seconds and a minute to be able to see measurements and do stuff. Even when logged in actively, I often get an invalid request error if I go into one of the parameters 'too quickly' after logging in, have to click back, wait a few seconds, and then click a parameter again. The app has skipped a scheduled test. But, I really like this unit, and seems nicely put together, so I put up with these in the HOPES that @Focustronic_Eric will fix these in the next release of the app.
  2. My unit shipped without a bushing on one side of the stepper pump that drives the large sampling pump. It was L-O-U-D - like wake the wife up across the house, loud. I emailed Eric about this, and he sent me a pdf on bushing replacement within a day or two. Was done in 10 minutes with the supplied replacement bushing. But, turns out one of the bushings was not installed on the pump at the factory. Hope I am sent a replacement bushing...
Other than these things, I like the unit a lot. I have to say, though, I am concerned by the problems inherent in the Android app, and hope that these are addressed soon.

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I know this post was about a year ago but just wondering if any of the updates have helped with some of the problems people of had. In your opinion does your unit run better and have less problems? Would you still recommend getting a Mastertronic?
Sorry finally getting back to r2r and saw your reply. To answer your question, no I would not buy any product from Focustronic ever. The alkatronic is probably their best product but their customer service is horrendous to say the least. The leak issue, as told my the owner, is because the unit is in a high humidity area. Don't bother getting help on their FB page because they will ignore any complaints and delete or mute you from the group.

Gundy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry finally getting back to r2r and saw your reply. To answer your question, no I would not buy any product from Focustronic ever. The alkatronic is probably their best product but their customer service is horrendous to say the least. The leak issue, as told my the owner, is because the unit is in a high humidity area. Don't bother getting help on their FB page because they will ignore any complaints and delete or mute you from the group.
Thanks for your opinion. I have decided to wait on purchasing this unit. Hopefully over time they can fix some of the major issues people complain about. Also, it’s too much money for a product that isn’t reliable.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back