Matching Led Layout

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so before I start rattling off a few questions let me give you guys a quick background on my tank. I have a 4 ft long 90 gallon and currently I am running 3 Chinese black boxes. I made the mistake of ordering all three at different times and although they are generic black boxes all three have different led layouts. Needless to say it is very tough to get a uniform look on the tank. I recently got a great deal on an 24inch evergrow it2060 and jumped on it. I have been looking high and low for another one to match but can only find them for upwards or 350$$. I was able to find a used lumentek 240 for a great price. As you guessed, they do not have the same layout. Currently I am looking for the layouts so I can have one match the other. Now to the questions... For a guy with a decent background with electronics, how hard will it be to open one up and swap out a few of the leds? Since they are 3 watt leds in all of the above light will I just be able to swap them from some of my older boxes to the newer boxes? And last but not least am I crazy for not just ordering two of the same lights? Thanks for all replies in advance.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes crazy - stop already! :p

Sell 100% of the lights you have and either buy or build a cohesive system. :) No, really.

I'd recommend away from the shoeboxes....instead, if you need to stay cheap, go DIY or buy GOOD LIGHTS used.

I like gu10 bulbs for DIY as they are pre-built and I just have to wire up sockets to AC power. You could do your tank for between $70 and $150, depending what bulbs you pick. (There's nothing wrong with the $70 option.)

You'd need to have something to screw the sockets in to....look at this thread for ideas if this sounds intriguing. It's not your typical DIY:
http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/267432-gu10-led-build-thread-chinese-ebay-lights/

theatrus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so before I start rattling off a few questions let me give you guys a quick background on my tank. I have a 4 ft long 90 gallon and currently I am running 3 Chinese black boxes. I made the mistake of ordering all three at different times and although they are generic black boxes all three have different led layouts. Needless to say it is very tough to get a uniform look on the tank. I recently got a great deal on an 24inch evergrow it2060 and jumped on it. I have been looking high and low for another one to match but can only find them for upwards or 350$$. I was able to find a used lumentek 240 for a great price. As you guessed, they do not have the same layout.

Do they have the same LEDs in the same footprint? Are they the domed/egg shaped monstrosities or a newer package style?

The egg shaped emitter packages don't solder the thermal pad down, so you can just swap them with an iron on each leg. The better/newer style solder all three terminals down, and heating the board is required, either on a hot plate or via hot air.

OP
OP
Watevadog5

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They have the same layout, just different colors of leds. I'm awaiting my second set so I can see the type of led they use.

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.6%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 65 41.4%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 14.0%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 35 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 5.7%
Back