Mate for my Clownfish + Adding a Damselfish?

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So I have a clownfish named Cooli who seems to be happy and healthy. He likes to swim near my leather coral and dart around the tank through the flow. He's fat and fed clams, pellets, mysis, and even pieces of earthworms (all my fish love them). I was wondering if it would be reasonable to add in a lady friend for him- have had him in the tank for around a month. I think my filtration could handle it, and Cooli seems to have a nice demeanor so far. Completely ignores my firefish and watchman goby who live in a cave together and come out mostly at feeding time. He's not nippy or mean at all... aside from when somebody takes his food!

Additionally, after he has a mate, I might add a Springer's damsel. Would this be feasible?

Tank: 20g long
Filtration: Aqueon QuietFlow HOB - I run activated carbon in a bag and have 20 lbs of live rock + 20lbs of live sand. Filter is filled with lots of floss and a pad. Lots of filter feeders in my filter like feather dusters, spirorbid worms, sponges, etc. as another biological filter.

Ammonia/Nitrites. 0ppm
Nitrates: 10ppm
Phosphate: <0.25 ppm
Ph: 8.2

Here's a picture of him when he was in QT :)

987EEA3E-B4BC-4B4C-A8E5-5FE99868C85F.jpeg

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is actually most likely a she. Make sure what ever clown you add is smaller. Not sure on the damsel, haven't owned one.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh sweet! I thought the females were bigger than the males but I guess there's not point of comparison with only one clown
The bigger of the 2 will be the female. However that doesn't mean the one you have currently already isn't a dominant female. You could add one that's larger and end up with Thunderdome.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Cant say you have a female until it has paired with another clown. In most cases, damsels are territorial and not good tankmates. I feel that you would ok in doing this, but the fish will still size each other up and possibly fight during the first couple of days.
Best practice is to add a desired fish, and place clown in an acclimation box for a week or two and then see how they interact. Generally with clowns. . females attack females and may or may not accept a male. Believe it or not, clowns are actually in the same family as damsels. . I feel that you would ok in doing this, but the fish will still size each other up and possibly fight during the first couple of days.

Ossy3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't recommend adding another damselfish. If you want to go with something peaceful why not something like a fox-face or even a small tang (although considering your tank size it may be too small).

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back