Mats under sump?

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you all recommend I put a mat under the sump. I saw one video they put some industrial styrofoam under the sump. But I think I read about some other ideas. Can you steer me in the right direction

NexisG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use a rubber mat under my sump just in case some water drips down there that I don’t see. Seems to work well from what I can tell but unfortunately don’t remember the brand. Any good industrial one from amazon should work (make sure it’s waterproof). Infront of the tank I use these https://www.cobaltaquatics.com/products/aqua-sponge-mat
To catch any water I spill during maintenance

OP
OP
D

Damion123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally use a rubber mat under my sump just in case some water drips down there that I don’t see. Seems to work well from what I can tell but unfortunately don’t remember the brand. Any good industrial one from amazon should work (make sure it’s waterproof). Infront of the tank I use these https://www.cobaltaquatics.com/products/aqua-sponge-mat
To catch any water I spill during maintenance
Like a neoprene mat?

NexisG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like a neoprene mat?
That would work, mines just industrial rubber which also seems to work. Just try to get one with slightly raised edges so the water doesn’t just roll off. Again look at the specifics of any mat your looking at because even some rubber or neoprene mats aren’t suggest for wet conditions(aren’t waterproof).

Osler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just regular styrofoam sheet insulation you can get from a big box store. Cut to fit your sump footprint. It can help to more evenly distribute weight/stress and minimize the risk of failure (so they say). I’ve had pink styrofoam under my sump for 10+ years.

tuesdayd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just regular styrofoam sheet insulation you can get from a big box store. Cut to fit your sump footprint. It can help to more evenly distribute weight/stress and minimize the risk of failure (so they say). I’ve had pink styrofoam under my sump for 10+ years.
I've heard the same about weight distribution - especially with larger sumps. And perhaps it might reduce some pump vibration as well.

MVIMG_20200329_120326.jpg

Reefcowboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen many place the sump right over wooden stands with lots of imperfections risking integrity of the sump just as much it would do to the tank...
Get yourself a yoga mat or a rubber mat that would relief the sump/tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 44 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.9%
Back