OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been staring at the tank most of the day, one of the perks of working from home. In so doing, it has become clear that I'm going to need a lot more light for this tank. The tank just seems dim in appearance. I'm not sure if its just my eyes or if the par is really low from not enough fixtures. Either way, there is no way I'm going to grow corals with out more light.
Actually one of the things I'm looking forward to the most other than corals is getting some calms. I have always found them beautiful, and have always wanted one or two.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been staring at the tank most of the day, one of the perks of working from home. In so doing, it has become clear that I'm going to need a lot more light for this tank. The tank just seems dim in appearance. I'm not sure if its just my eyes or if the par is really low from not enough fixtures. Either way, there is no way I'm going to grow corals with out more light.

I see a brs par meter rental in your near future! (Don't trust your eyes for this.)

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see a brs par meter rental in your near future! (Don't trust your eyes for this.)
Trust me it's on the list to buy. Because when I start getting Acros, I want to make sure that i put them in just the right spot that will meet their needs.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My father and I were working getting the wood mounted to the ceiling for mounting the lights, and I was thinking the tank was looking really good. So I took a picture. Sorry the fish seem to have all gone to bed. I can't wait to get those lights all hung and in place. I think this tank is going to look great.
IMG_0647.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching the BRS video bellow, and Ryan was talking about how he was trying to avoid the ugly stage, and go bare bottom, but it didn't work out and he added sand. Granted he has a lot more light over his tank, but I took a lot of steps he didn't. So I'm hoping that I don't run into all the same problems he did. I think it is too soon to tell but I'm really hoping the differences between out two tanks will make all the difference. While i don't think I can avoid the ugly stage, I'm hoping that i can dramatically cut it back.
The One Thing I Will NEVER Do Again...Big Mistake?!

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will look great (is looking great). It is being very well thought through.
Your scape alone is just awesome and material wise you are more than good.
It will be interesting to see this mature.

Last edited:

AJsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was watching the BRS video bellow, and Ryan was talking about how he was trying to avoid the ugly stage, and go bare bottom, but it didn't work out and he added sand. Granted he has a lot more light over his tank, but I took a lot of steps he didn't. So I'm hoping that I don't run into all the same problems he did. I think it is too soon to tell but I'm really hoping the differences between out two tanks will make all the difference. While i don't think I can avoid the ugly stage, I'm hoping that i can dramatically cut it back.
The One Thing I Will NEVER Do Again...Big Mistake?!

Barebottom takes time, plain and simple. Ryan is such a great dude but clearly impatient, which is fine. Honestly, my tank has been up for 3 years and gone through two ugly cycles so bad they “crashed” my tank due to being impatient. Heck just this week after no issues for a year I had a resurgence of Dinos and plumbed in a UV sterilizer. I think they save maintenance but add cost imo. That said, there’s no way I’m going back to sand.

You should be better off since you have the live rock biodiversity helping out. I’m along the lines of thinking that regular bacteria dosing of numerous strains/brands could be a likely key to long term success with BB/Dry rock as well. Would love to see someone like BRS test this.

Overall, great build thread and progress. Reaffirms to me I want a bigger tank, ha. I already started preparing the wife that if/when we move I’m ready for a 8-10ft tank and no more Red Sea or equivalent. I want it custom spec, taller stand to work under, etc. Love what you have so far!

Quick question - are you eventually building a wall around the tank? Placement is throwing me off currently, I’m assuming that was a dining room/den? Good job convincing the wife to give you the space haha

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barebottom takes time, plain and simple. Ryan is such a great dude but clearly impatient, which is fine. Honestly, my tank has been up for 3 years and gone through two ugly cycles so bad they “crashed” my tank due to being impatient. Heck just this week after no issues for a year I had a resurgence of Dinos and plumbed in a UV sterilizer. I think they save maintenance but add cost imo. That said, there’s no way I’m going back to sand.

You should be better off since you have the live rock biodiversity helping out. I’m along the lines of thinking that regular bacteria dosing of numerous strains/brands could be a likely key to long term success with BB/Dry rock as well. Would love to see someone like BRS test this.

Overall, great build thread and progress. Reaffirms to me I want a bigger tank, ha. I already started preparing the wife that if/when we move I’m ready for a 8-10ft tank and no more Red Sea or equivalent. I want it custom spec, taller stand to work under, etc. Love what you have so far!

Quick question - are you eventually building a wall around the tank? Placement is throwing me off currently, I’m assuming that was a dining room/den? Good job convincing the wife to give you the space haha
Thank you for all the kinds words, I appreciate them a lot. You are right patience is very important. It is also really hard for me. I want everything now. The tank is in the front room right next to the front door, normally used fora formal dining room. No plans for any walls yet. If I remember I’ll post some pictures.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why people are so crazy about the Tunze ATO. I'm having constant problems with it. I don't think it will work for keeping corals since I can't keep my salinity stable. It's like the sensor just stops working, and the sump drys up. I'm having to keep another optical sensor on the sump to tell me with the Tunze isn't working. I'm thinking about switching over to the Neptune one. However, I'm also having problems with Neptune sensors. They keep saying there is water on the floor when there is not. As long as that is going on I'm not programing it to turn anything on or off based on those sensors.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure why people are so crazy about the Tunze ATO. I'm having constant problems with it. I don't think it will work for keeping corals since I can't keep my salinity stable. It's like the sensor just stops working, and the sump drys up. I'm having to keep another optical sensor on the sump to tell me with the Tunze isn't working. I'm thinking about switching over to the Neptune one. However, I'm also having problems with Neptune sensors. They keep saying there is water on the floor when there is not. As long as that is going on I'm not programing it to turn anything on or off based on those sensors.

All I can suggest for the level sensors is to give them a good clean or replace them.

For the leak sensor they work on conductivity of a substance creating a short circuit across the metal strips underneath. What else is present to do that or where else in the circuit could it be short circuiting? Those are the things you could look for with it.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can suggest for the level sensors is to give them a good clean or replace them.

For the leak sensor they work on conductivity of a substance creating a short circuit across the metal strips underneath. What else is present to do that or where else in the circuit could it be short circuiting? Those are the things you could look for with it.
I'm not sure, I have clean it multiple times. I may do two ATO, leaving the Tunze in place and adding a Neptune.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made some small adjustments on the skimmer, and wow what a difference in skimmate. I'm getting a lot more foam, and some dark skimmate.
IMG_0654.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now this may be nothing. However it is my first Achillies tang. So I'm not familiar with their normal behavior. Today he seems to be unsettled and zipping around the tank. Now he still eats everything in sight, and he is not showing any external signs of parasites. From what I can tell his breathing is normal. I guess will wait to see what he is like tomorrow. All the other fish appear to be just fine.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will look great (is looking great). It is being very well thought through.
Your scape alone is just awesome and material wise you are more than good.
It will be interesting to see thus mature.
Sorry, I was meaning to thank you for all your kind words. I really appreciate it.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested the tank today, and surprised to see ammonia. I’m hoping it will go away. But just in case going to start up the automatic water charge again tonight. Right now all the fish are eating and acting normal, so I’m not going to panic.I did add some Podibio bio digest.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where do u think the ammonia came from? Do u have any missing fish? How old was the ammonia test ?
I think it came from adding four fish in two days, plus some crabs. I just wasn't expecting it. Because I was dosing ammonia during the cycle. I was thinking there should have been plenty of bacteria. However, this is my first bare bottom, and perhaps I should have let the tank cycle longer. After all, it was only cycling for a few months. LOL. I'm trying to remember when I bought the test kit. I don't think it is a year old yet. But just in case, I'm going to order another one.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back