OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've recently added some large fish. Bacteria numbers just have some catching up to do.
That's what I was thinking too, I was just hoping with the long cycle and the amount of amonia I was adding I could have avoided it. Oh well. As long as the fish are healthy and aren't showing signs of stress, I'm not going to panic. Thanks

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the new wire for running the new tank circuit, I just hope it’s enough.
DD0D1C0C-E784-4223-BF25-F5002640816B.jpeg
EDEF5C46-4C30-4B38-B0AA-3BB29C7FA782.jpeg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the poor quality, what can I say it was done with an iPhone. Plus the fish are still scared of me. I'm hoping they will stop ducking for cover every time I walk up to the tank sooner rather than later. However, one thing this does illustrate is this tank needs a lot more fish and corals.

Last edited:

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry for the poor quality, what can I say it was done with an iPhone. Plus the fish are still scared of me. I'm they will stop ducking for cover every time I walk up to the tank sooner rather than later. However, one thing this does illustrate is this tank needs a lot more fish and corals.
Link isn’t working for me.

Teen reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you got everything sorted out and I can’t wait to take a look at this tank once it is all established!

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without asking the wife I went ahead and ordered the rest of the lights. Yayyy. However, I forgot that little fact and let it slip, so guess who is sleeping in the dog house. I'll make it up to her.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without asking the wife I went ahead and ordered the rest of the lights. Yayyy. However, I forgot that little fact and let it slip, so guess who is sleeping in the dog house. I'll make it up to her.

So better to ask forgiveness than ask permission huh? ;Hilarious

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So better to ask forgiveness than ask permission huh? ;Hilarious
LOL, I guess that depends on how much you enjoy sleeping in the dog house. For me, it's my home away from home. :p. That being said I do try really hard not to upset her, I'm very grateful she allows me to build this aquarium.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was noticing that the tank was not as clear as I would like down the length of the tank. With the UV, I don't think it is bacteria. So I was thinking of putting ROX carbon reactor on the tank. The problem with that is I'm a lazy person and replace ROX every couple of days doesn't sound like something that I would keep up with. Today I was watching Reef Dudes' live show regarding Ozon. I love the simplicity of it, and its track record for keeping the water clear. Here is my problem my tank runs above 400 on ORP all day every day. I'm not sure about adding more oxygen.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxygen levels are going to come down as you add more livestock. The important part with ozone is to monitor and control the level of ozone, so it does not go too high, as this can be dangerous. But I think ozone is a good long term solution (Also deals with some ich and velvet in the tank.) In the meantime put some carbon in for 4 days, after that it is exhausted. I would not use carbon long term due to tangs and possible link to HLLE.

I was noticing that the tank was not as clear as I would like down the length of the tank. With the UV, I don't think it is bacteria. So I was thinking of putting ROX carbon reactor on the tank. The problem with that is I'm a lazy person and replace ROX every couple of days doesn't sound like something that I would keep up with. Today I was watching Reef Dudes' live show regarding Ozon. I love the simplicity of it, and its track record for keeping the water clear. Here is my problem my tank runs above 400 on ORP all day every day. I'm not sure about adding more oxygen.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a sadder note, I think my ugly phase has begun. I can already start seeing all the brown show up on the rocks and glass. I'm sure the new lights will go a long way in making it look worse real soon. As of right now you really can't see anything in a picture, however, I'm sure that will not be the case for long.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a sadder note, I think my ugly phase has begun. I can already start seeing all the brown show up on the rocks and glass. I'm sure the new lights will go a long way in making it look worse real soon. As of right now you really can't see anything in a picture, however, I'm sure that will not be the case for long.

Not sad, the sooner they start the sooner they finish!;)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back