Mattgsa 315 gallon build

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using to add the CO2? are you using a carbondoser? what kind of regulator is what i think im getting at. i also looked back a couple pages and didnt see the calcuim reactor. i have limited useful knowledge about setting them up. i have one of the vertex ones but i didnt get to have it up for long before i broke the old system down *for a move)

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are you using to add the CO2? are you using a carbondoser? what kind of regulator is what i think im getting at. i also looked back a couple pages and didnt see the calcuim reactor. i have limited useful knowledge about setting them up. i have one of the vertex ones but i didnt get to have it up for long before i broke the old system down *for a move)
I'm using an Aquarium Engineering Calcium reactor. The control model didn't work from day one, so I sent it back and created my own. Since it is an ACR the CO2 is controlled by a float switch. I'm thinking about switching to a Reef Octo reactor.

mrbh22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not familliar with the ACR stuff. I assume its supposed to peg the PH and then you adjust the flow to get the effluent to where you want it to be so you arent having too many variables to fight with. i had luck with the carbondoser pegging the PH and then running the Kamoer at a decent flow rate and adjusting accordingly.

im assuming im going to have to run a larger CAL RX for my bigger system. i will most likely run some form of Kalk, 2 part and CAL RX at some point in this adventure. keep us posted on what you decide to do about a the Reef octo RX

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using an Aquarium Engineering Calcium reactor. The control model didn't work from day one, so I sent it back and created my own. Since it is an ACR the CO2 is controlled by a float switch. I'm thinking about switching to a Reef Octo reactor.
I ran the AE CaRx for about a year. Had to fiddle with it a few times but did OK. I just couldn't keep my pH at a reasonable level with already high ambient CO2 in my basement. In the end, I actually over-pressurized it messing with the regulator and it is dead.

I have since gone back to ESV 2-part and added a large Octo kalk stirrer. This cut my dosing in half from 1/2 a liter per day, which was unacceptable from a maintenance perspective. Now my pH chart is beautiful and my ALK is quite stable.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the new coral are still alive and looking good. I have managed to keep the three critical elements stable despite all the CalRX problems. I discovered the float switch or the Clippard valve stopped working. I'm going to owe @Dennis Cartier lunch for all his help getting this thing to work. I have even ordered more parts. One of these days I'll get a camera that can take decent pictures.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are some bad Iphone pictures
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1038.jpg
IMG_1037.jpg
IMG_1039.jpg
IMG_1036.jpg

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never been one who loves soft corals, but this Goni is sure making me reconsider my position on them
1636657221160.png

I'm going to spend the weekend attempting to get the AE reactor working, if I can't I will have a video of it getting smashed with a sledgehammer, and I will order a new Dastco reactor. The wife has approved the reactor I want. Like I have stated before, I have an amazing wife.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous corals. There is something about the flowing polyps of LPS and soft corals that can just be mesmerizing, but I am an SPS guy through and through. Love all the acros.

Hopefully you can get the reactor working at least so that you can try to sell it to help fund the dastco.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous corals. There is something about the flowing polyps of LPS and soft corals that can just be mesmerizing, but I am an SPS guy through and through. Love all the acros.

Hopefully you can get the reactor working at least so that you can try to sell it to help fund the dastco.
I'm with you, I love Acros. The only reason I got the Goni's is that I wanted to see if the clowns would mate with it since I don't want to put an anemone in the tank.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to get tufts of what looks like hair algae. This doesn't really alarm me, since my nutrients are up. That being said the corals are all loving it. So this just means I need to get more clean-up crew for the tank. right now I'm thinking of a lawnmower blenny. I would get more crabs but they just eat all my snails, so I don't think I will order any of those. I'm also going to see if I can get an urchin or two.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 106 76.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back