Mattgsa 315 gallon build

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and both, even worse I had no internet or phone for a week, I couldn't check on it even if I wanted to. I really need to find a tank sitter here in town.

Yes, I'm saving up to make another trip to see @FarmerTy. Due to other priorities, my budget for the tank has been dramatically reduced. So things are not moving nearly as fast as I would like them to. I'm hoping that will change in the future.

I completely understand the diversion of available funds from the reef keeping endeavor. Hope the bank account recovers for another reef related purchase soon.

As far as the algae, it looks more like some kind of turf algae to me from the photo. Does it stay fairly short and grow in a mat covering the rock? Or does it have more long filamentous growth pattern?

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your right it may be turf algae. I'm not sure how to go about getting rid of it

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and both, even worse I had no internet or phone for a week, I couldn't check on it even if I wanted to. I really need to find a tank sitter here in town.
If your LFS offers tank service as a business line, get to know one of the service techs and do a little side cash deal with one of them.

Leave em a little list re:
feeding
ato check
skimmer clean
sock change
etc

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your LFS offers tank service as a business line, get to know one of the service techs and do a little side cash deal with one of them.

Leave em a little list re:
feeding
ato check
skimmer clean
sock change
etc
Not a bad idea.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo urchins will eat it up
I have looked everywhere I can think of and no one has any right now. I have my name and number out there in the event one comes in. However, at this time it doesn't look good.

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have looked everywhere I can think of and no one has any right now. I have my name and number out there in the event one comes in. However, at this time it doesn't look good.
Saltyunderground is where I buy mine, I haven’t looked. LFS up here has some in stock

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saltyunderground is where I buy mine, I haven’t looked. LFS up here has some in stock
Thanks, I will keep an eye out there too. I also got in touch with Algae Barn, and they said they are set to get more in stock on Friday. If that is the case I will buy some.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went over to Battle Corals not expecting to buy anything, but some how I ended up buying a frag of Mystery Team, which is a rainbow tenuis. Adam already emailed me letting me know it could ship today. I just hope it looks this good in my tank.

The picture is off of BC website.
1642616709847.png

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adam's stuff is always healthy. Can't wait to see it in your tank.
Everything came in today, and the corals look great. I'm going to wait a little while for them to open up and look better if I only had a camera to take a decent pictures with.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see polyps. That is a really good thing. Hope they do very well for you.

I have found that I need to go in and edit pics when taken with an eye phone. The flatter against the tank you can hold the phone, the easier it is to get accurate and in focus pictures as well.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see polyps. That is a really good thing. Hope they do very well for you.

I have found that I need to go in and edit pics when taken with an eye phone. The flatter against the tank you can hold the phone, the easier it is to get accurate and in focus pictures as well.
I have tried that, my phone just doesn't want to cooperate. One of these days I will save up for a camera and try to overcome the urge to spend the money on more corals.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man the green turf algae is growing out of control, every time I look at the tank more of it comes up. I have the three urchins in there, however, they don't seem to like the turf algae. So I have ordered three more emerald crabs. I spent over an hour the other day taking corals out and spraying them with hydrogen peroxide. I still have a long ways to go.
I changed the light setting to see if I could get a better picture, and apparently I didn't get them back to the right setting, and my JG Yellow now has some burnt tips, all the others look fine.

cmaxwell39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on the algae battle. Hard to have enough nutrients to feed the corals and not feed algae at the same time. It is such a balancing act, but you will get it figured out.

hope the coral bounces back soon as well.

OP
OP
mattgsa

mattgsa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those days in reefing that I can't explain. First, my tank climbs to 80 degrees only to find out my sump fan quit working altogether. While I was trying to figure that out I noticed water pooling around the base of the sump. So after another 30 minutes, I discovered it was the dosing pump for the calrx that was leaking again. I don't know why people like these Kamore pumps, it has been a pain in my side since the day I set it up. It just never stops leaking. So the wife and I went out to Walmart to get another fan, when I come back the skimmer has decided to go crazy and just overflowed a week's worth of skimmate back into the tank. I don't know why I didn't intentionally add anything to the tank other than fish food. So the skimmer is turned off and I added fresh carbon to the system. With the lights off, the tank is a nice shade of green. I feel like this is my first week with a reef tank.
Angry Chicken GIF by happydog

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one of those days in reefing that I can't explain. First, my tank climbs to 80 degrees only to find out my sump fan quit working altogether. While I was trying to figure that out I noticed water pooling around the base of the sump. So after another 30 minutes, I discovered it was the dosing pump for the calrx that was leaking again. I don't know why people like these Kamore pumps, it has been a pain in my side since the day I set it up. It just never stops leaking. So the wife and I went out to Walmart to get another fan, when I come back the skimmer has decided to go crazy and just overflowed a week's worth of skimmate back into the tank. I don't know why I didn't intentionally add anything to the tank other than fish food. So the skimmer is turned off and I added fresh carbon to the system. With the lights off, the tank is a nice shade of green. I feel like this is my first week with a reef tank.
Angry Chicken GIF by happydog
These kinds of things usually happen when I am a few thousand miles away.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 38.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back