OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like i'll have to add a ball valve as @d2mini has suggested too! My Midi stands in my bedroom... Noise surely is not welcoming.

Lookin' good :) I need to catch up.. Ha!
Haha thanks mate.

Yea I definitely recommend it. I was pulling my hair out for a while! Haha
I do expect it to quiet down further as drains seem to do when they get that nice slime coat lol.
The problem I think is elos has solved the issue of the overflow being noisy but haven't addressed the issue of air and water in the drain pipe at high flows.
But with the ball valve it does solve the problem.
For what it's worth the 120xl with quiet drain is far far more quiet than the old elos mini sitting next to it.
And the quietdrive MP10 is louder than the 120xl's drain. :)

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great man!

I hard plumbed my elos. Quiet
Thanks mate!
Yea I've gone through your thread a couple times! :D
The issue I think is the amount of flow with these new drains, they are capable to drain a massive amount but all that water pulls in air. My Elos SF11000 set at anything over 15% was crazy loud without the ball valve.
In comparison my older elos mini (although with a much smaller drain) can run only about 300Lh to be quiet.

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're Salty!

Another quick update, the tank is finally cycling and doing its thing.
I've added a litre of siporax from my mini and a small piece of live rock to help seed the bacteria.

I've still got some small jobs to do like place and run the dosing containers and tubes. Tidy up some wires etc.
Hoping to pick up the skimmer this afternoon as well so can get that bad boy in.

I was eagerly awaiting getting this new elos quiet drain operating but ran into a small road block. The actual overflow itself when set right is as quiet as can be but the water and air traveling through the drain pipe was crazy loud.
In the Elos manual it states the secret is to have a gentle curve of the drain pipe but this doesn't help at all.
A big thanks to @d2mini for helping point me in the right direction.
I've put a ball valve on the drain so it runs full of water, reducing the air coming down and it has reduced the sound significantly. It's almost silent now and the missus is happy! Haha :D

A pic as we stand today-
IMG_2480.JPG

That looks really nice, great job!

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about stacking the siporax in a eggcrate basket? I did that with mine and can imagine it gets quite a bit more flow through it.

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you thought about stacking the siporax in a eggcrate basket? I did that with mine and can imagine it gets quite a bit more flow through it.
I have but I'm actually not sure where to get eggcrate around here! Haha
I haven't looked into it much so it's on the to do list.

Did you find it took up more or less room stacked?

This is it at the moment, I've got another 2 liters that will fit in there I reckon.
Stacking it would definelty appeal to my OCD side! Haha

IMG_2494.JPG

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saaweeeeet! I have an Elos 120XL as well but with the old sump design. The new one looks like a nice upgrade. I just wish the sumps were bigger to better accommodate the available cabinet footprint. I can't wait to see your thriving piece of the reef. Absolutely following your journey. Best of luck and have fun!

Last edited:

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got almost 10L into my sump stacking them. Makes cleaning it very easy too, when I do a water change or deep clean my sump I can just pull it out, put it in my old tank water and shake it out.

Elos club represent!

Siporax arrived and added to the tank today. Any thoughts on how long it would take for it to build up the bacteria needed? I managed to get just under the 10l that I ordered into the fuge area.

Uk5Z60f.jpg

JVkUYse.jpg

mieYczD.jpg

hEKlHZO.jpg

cFAE7GW.jpg

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saaweeeeet! I have an Elos 120XL as well but with the old sump design. The new one looks like a nice upgrade. I just wish the sumps were bigger to better accommodate the available cabinet footprint. I can't wait to see your thriving piece of the reef. Absolutely following your journey. Best of luck and have fun!
Nice! I'll have to check yours out!
yea the depth allows room for a big sump. If it's not filled though at least it allows room for other stuff lol. Thanks for following!

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got almost 10L into my sump stacking them. Makes cleaning it very easy too, when I do a water change or deep clean my sump I can just pull it out, put it in my old tank water and shake it out.

Elos club represent!
Okay nice, i'll definitely look into stacking them, i imagine it will be therapeutic to painstakingly stack them all! Haha :p

Hmm Elos club... that sounds like something that needs to happen!
Maybe an Elos Club thread!

WDKegge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay nice, i'll definitely look into stacking them, i imagine it will be therapeutic to painstakingly stack them all! Haha :p

Hmm Elos club... that sounds like something that needs to happen!
Maybe an Elos Club thread!
Lets make it happen! I also noticed it seems to be a trend that a lot of elos tanks seem to have guiesmann fixtures.

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets make it happen! I also noticed it seems to be a trend that a lot of elos tanks seem to have guiesmann fixtures.
Yes! I might start one in the next day or two if there isn't one.
Yea your right, all the Giesemann fixtures look really nice, basically their sexy lol
So they go well with an Elos.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 111 74.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back