OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After work last night I picked up some goodies for the tank, some coral sand a heater and this bad boy..

IMG_2483.JPG

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous looking tank and stand!

About the ball valve on the drain hose though...

Please take this with a grain of salt as I can't speak from first hand experience (I don't have an Elos tank yet) ... but it's my understanding that the new QuietDrain Overflows are designed with a safety feature that causes the overflow to kick into what is essentially a full siphon mode if the water level in the tank gets too high.

By putting a ball valve on the end of the drain hose, aren't you essentially 'choking off' its ability to ramp up the flow rate if this full siphon mode kicks in ... and opening yourself up to a flood if the normal overflow openings become restricted or blocked?

Just asking because I'd hate to see anyone suffer a spillover ... and because I'm seriously looking at an Elos 120 myself and am trying to soak up any firsthand input I can get on them.

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgeous looking tank and stand!

About the ball valve on the drain hose though...

Please take this with a grain of salt as I can't speak from first hand experience (I don't have an Elos tank yet) ... but it's my understanding that the new QuietDrain Overflows are designed with a safety feature that causes the overflow to kick into what is essentially a full siphon mode if the water level in the tank gets too high.

By putting a ball valve on the end of the drain hose, aren't you essentially 'choking off' its ability to ramp up the flow rate if this full siphon mode kicks in ... and opening yourself up to a flood if the normal overflow openings become restricted or blocked?

Just asking because I'd hate to see anyone suffer a spillover ... and because I'm seriously looking at an Elos 120 myself and am trying to soak up any firsthand input I can get on them.
Thanks mate!

Yes you're absolutely right and I had the same thought process when setting it up.
I'll try to explain why I think it's a very small concern though. And please chime in if there are any holes in my theory.
I think firstly the way the water enters the overflow through the many grates in the overflow allows a lot of buffer room with them getting blocked, if they ever were to.
Secondly the water that enters the down pipe goes through another grate in the tube to stop anything blocking it.
Thirdly I think the siphon would still happen if the water level rose, it would however drain less with the ball valve a quarter closed as I have it.
I should do some testing on this and physically try to replicate a dirty or blocked overflow.

I'm open to any suggestions that may quiet down the overflow without the valve.
I've still been doing some research, I could try and feed an air tube down the drain to remove the air.

Thanks for your feedback!

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're probably right, the fact that it has several openings for water to enter the overflow should mean the odds of a total blockage are incredibly low.

Shortly after my earlier post, it dawned on me that you may also be protected in another way as well...

As long as the operating water level in the return chamber of the sump is set so that the return pump draws air before the vacant head space in the display tank fills up, the display will never overflow. Worst case scenario would be your return pump eventually burns out if you're away from home for an extended period and don't happen to catch it in time. A much better 'problem' to have IMHO than a big spillover.

Nuts, now I want one even more. Their tanks and stands make for such a dang sexy set up.

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a great idea!
I actually need to reduce the water level in there anyway to accommodate the ideal height for the skimmer.
I'll have a look at that tonight.
Thanks for the idea and like you said the pump running dry is a lot better than the display overflowing.

Do it man, I think you'll love a 120 :)
I'm really happy with mine and can't wait until I can stock it!

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! I have the same setup except the standard Elos stand. Finally bringing it online and love the dimensions for rock scape and viewing. For some reason my tank didn't come with any instructions and D2mini was a big help. How did you plumb the bottom return outlet? I'm going to install some Line-loc there as it's currently blocked off and causing lots of flow out of the to return. I still need to install the gate valve as the water rushing through the sump input is rather loud. Impressive what it flows though. I will be posting some pictures once the tank cleans up. I will be following your thread. I added an Artfully acrylic screen top for mine and it's kept the fish in the tank. Great stuff and keep up the good work. JP

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great build! I have the same setup except the standard Elos stand. Finally bringing it online and love the dimensions for rock scape and viewing. For some reason my tank didn't come with any instructions and D2mini was a big help. How did you plumb the bottom return outlet? I'm going to install some Line-loc there as it's currently blocked off and causing lots of flow out of the to return. I still need to install the gate valve as the water rushing through the sump input is rather loud. Impressive what it flows though. I will be posting some pictures once the tank cleans up. I will be following your thread. I added an Artfully acrylic screen top for mine and it's kept the fish in the tank. Great stuff and keep up the good work. JP
Nice! I think I actually read in a thread somewhere you had one. Did you end up going the Spectra as well?
We're setting up about the same time then :)
Yea how good is the depth of the tank! That's always what appealed to me the most about his tank.

I had two peices of pipe and some elbows included with the tank that I used for the bottom return. Actually I used one of the pipes and I bought a 45° bend for the end. This works perfectly to shoot water between the valley of my two islands.
If you'd like a pic I can take one tonight.

You should start a journal so I can keep track of your tank!
Actually I was thinking of starting a sort of Elos fan club thread so we can get all the amazing elos tanks in one easy place to look at. Could be good to talk about all things elos to. Might do that tonight.

Thanks for he kind words!

Clayton Jessup

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks like another great Elos build can't wait for this tank to develop more , I am already a huge fan of your Elos mini .. looking forward to this build hands down ;)

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of stocking, what's the plan?? Lol
Good question! :D
Coral wise I'm gonna try a SPS dominant mixed reef. Basically everything will come over from the mini and then just frags and mini colonies. Maybe a few other odd LPS like favias and acans.
As for fish.. well gosh I've got a list a mile long. It will probably stay an open top with no mesh so that rules a lot of options. Sadly no wrasse :(
This is a list shortlist that I think I'll aim for for now.

Tomini or kole tang
Purple tang
Clownfish pair
PJ cardinal
Bicolour Blenny
Black spot angel pair
Yellow pyramid butterfly
Royal grammar
Dispar anthias

Two worries with this though, I may have too many larger fish and secondly keeping the anthias fed at least 3 times a day.

jporter17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice! I think I actually read in a thread somewhere you had one. Did you end up going the Spectra as well?
We're setting up about the same time then :)
Yea how good is the depth of the tank! That's always what appealed to me the most about his tank.

I had two peices of pipe and some elbows included with the tank that I used for the bottom return. Actually I used one of the pipes and I bought a 45° bend for the end. This works perfectly to shoot water between the valley of my two islands.
If you'd like a pic I can take one tonight.

You should start a journal so I can keep track of your tank!
Actually I was thinking of starting a sort of Elos fan club thread so we can get all the amazing elos tanks in one easy place to look at. Could be good to talk about all things elos to. Might do that tonight.

Thanks for he kind words!

Would love to see how you did the bottom return. I have a line-loc setup I'm thinking of trying. It should hide in the sand until it comes out with the nozzle. I'm keeping my Reef Brite hybrid to light this tank. It covers it perfectly. Hoping to start a thread here soon as it's starting to come to life. JP

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would love to see how you did the bottom return. I have a line-loc setup I'm thinking of trying. It should hide in the sand until it comes out with the nozzle. I'm keeping my Reef Brite hybrid to light this tank. It covers it perfectly. Hoping to start a thread here soon as it's starting to come to life. JP
Okay I'll get a pic tonight. Your idea sounds good though to hide most of it in the sand.
That fixtures nice! Keen to see that over the tank. Awesome I look forward to it!

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
23197E88-26E2-4B9A-B975-55F13FAC68BA.JPG
DEB92269-5196-41BE-87AA-EFD090A241E6.JPG
A3362D9A-5A9A-48BE-9C6B-46AC951DCECE.JPG

OP
OP
Mattres

Mattres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice looks clean. Can't wait to see more
Thank mate! :)

Any Updates?
Sure! Thanks for checking in :)

As expected there wasn't a massive cycle with the seeded siporax added. But I'm still playing it slow, basically waiting for the MP40 to arrive as I can't really add anything coral wise until there's some decent flow.
Last weekend I added about 15 turbo snails from my elos mini and their helping keep the rocks clean.
As of about 4 days ago the sand bed has turned into diatom city.
I have a bit of wire tidying and general organization to do, there's a delay on some silicone hose and pipe I've ordered so the manifold I'm going to build is still waiting to be built.
Baby steps at this point but hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get everything transferred over and kicked into full gear!

HeulittSalmi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank mate! :)

Sure! Thanks for checking in :)

As expected there wasn't a massive cycle with the seeded siporax added. But I'm still playing it slow, basically waiting for the MP40 to arrive as I can't really add anything coral wise until there's some decent flow.
Last weekend I added about 15 turbo snails from my elos mini and their helping keep the rocks clean.
As of about 4 days ago the sand bed has turned into diatom city.
I have a bit of wire tidying and general organization to do, there's a delay on some silicone hose and pipe I've ordered so the manifold I'm going to build is still waiting to be built.
Baby steps at this point but hopefully in the next couple weeks I can get everything transferred over and kicked into full gear!

Sounds good so far! I am almost in the same spot as you, just sitting a few steps behind. I went and bought my light, sand, rock, water, powerheads, upgraded the return pump, upgraded the media baskets (AIO Tank), and bought a reactor and was ready to get the tank wet, but forgot the simplest thing, the heater.. So my tank should be getting wet soon.

Also, once you're done I would really love to see your wire management and the bottom of your stand in general.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back