Maxima clam dropped foot?

ReeferK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received this clam from LiveAquaria, it had this weird fleshy thing in the bag when it arrived, the package arrived cold so I didn’t have high expectations. I placed it in my aquarium and it seems to be alive and reacting to fish swimming by closing a little but the mantle is not fully extended. There is also a hole underneath where I assume this fleshy thing is from, I can seen inside the clam shell.

should I be concerned? Pretty disappointed with how the package arrived.

9E4F38E0-20F3-4C58-A3A2-3193CA88419A.jpeg

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely the byssal threads that look attached to some sort of rock or substrate. Best thing you can do is slowly acclimate it and put it into the tank. Hopefully it wasnt its actual foot because reports from others say they will die after losing that. Good luck

OP
OP
ReeferK

ReeferK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most likely the byssal threads that look attached to some sort of rock or substrate. Best thing you can do is slowly acclimate it and put it into the tank. Hopefully it wasnt its actual foot because reports from others say they will die after losing that. Good luck
I think it might be the foot but am not sure, that whole thing is fleshy, the rocks are the little black stuff

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It may still do OK, I have had my clam lose some bits when I had to move it. . . it bounced back just fine.

I agree with the above, do normal acclimation and add to the tank. . . then monitor.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would suck but again best thing you can is just acclimate it and leave it in stable conditions and hope for recovery. Dont take it out of water if you dont have too as it can gulp air (then you have to burp it which is annoying). At least liveaquaria offers live guarantee should the worst happen. Not sure which one you ordered but I recommend the aquacultured clams now as I have had good luck with them and I dont need to worry about pests.
It may still do OK, I have had my clam lose some bits when I had to move it. . . it bounced back just fine
Those would be byssal threads and not the whole foot, still not 100% sure if the OP lost entire foot though

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That would suck but again best thing you can is just acclimate it and leave it in stable conditions and hope for recovery. Dont take it out of water if you dont have too as it can gulp air (then you have to burp it which is annoying). At least liveaquaria offers live guarantee should the worst happen. Not sure which one you ordered but I recommend the aquacultured clams now as I have had good luck with them and I dont need to worry about pests.

Those would be byssal threads and not the whole foot, still not 100% sure if the OP lost entire foot though
When I moved mine, looked like it lost some flesh with the threads. . . looked similar but smaller that what OP posted. . . but I don't have pictures to verify.

OP
OP
ReeferK

ReeferK

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I acclimated him and placed him in the tank, his mantle is extending out a little more, I’ll keep an eye on him. Hope he pulls through

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back