Maxima Clam turning brown from light?

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got this, the lights at the lfs are high dollar and super bright. Just a couple feet from the clam. Anyway I noticed that it's starting to brown out and since I have lower lighting and can use a filter feeders I spent a little over a c note on it... Just because it can live a long time and is just a beautiful thing to have... Thinking it will color up here.. blah blah blah.. are they supposed to be brown? I will get it on rock later, right now since it is aquacultured it's attached already to a hard piece.. under the sand. Stable prams, 40k lux light a few feet above. Par is not known right now.. what kind of condition does it look like it's in? I had to remove a dratted moon snail off it. Thank You for the time.
IMG_20210503_163149.jpg
IMG_20210503_161248.jpg
IMG_20210503_163155.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read they come in golden brown. Thanks ORA. I will just wait and see what it does. It has what it needs to live, so hopefully it will.

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you bought it and it was blue, it should stay blue. I recommend you move it to higher light just to see if it turns blue again

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got it today. It was brown when I got it.

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It snapped shut and got camera shy. Better pic.
IMG_20210504_152016.jpg

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tridacna clams are not filter feeders and depend on strong lighting to grow. Not knowing what par your tank currently has doesn't do you or the clam any good. What lights are you using? Do you have any sps or high light corals in your tank now? The clam looks healthy based on the pics you've provided, but we know nothing of your tank? Parameters? Age? etc...... Also, clams come in a wide assortment of colors.

Quoc Vu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look, I didn't know that they came in brown.
Sorry dude but you are very confusing. In first post you said its starting to turn brown. Then you say it was already brown when you bought it? So the point of the entire post is why is your clam brown? or you bought a brown clam and assume it will change color? then you say they brown out with too much light. So you basically answered your own question?

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it looked different in the LFS under whatever lights and spectrum they were running.. Probably designed to make the livestock really pop in color. And now it doesn't look like it did under the DT lights of the OP

welcome to the club

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light for it. Par meters cost.. kwim. My goal is to do this cheap. Stable parameters. Big led chip and light. Spotlight. Only critters in the tank are the clam and a few hermits.. coralline algae seeded. The color in graph is not representing the light color.

Screenshot_2021-05-05-09-56-33-705_com.homestudio.ppfdmeter.jpg Screenshot_2021-05-05-09-58-08-934_com.homestudio.ppfdmeter.jpg

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as what I have, I am not looking to buy
Tridacna clams are not filter feeders and depend on strong lighting to grow. Not knowing what par your tank currently has doesn't do you or the clam any good. What lights are you using? Do you have any sps or high light corals in your tank now? The clam looks healthy based on the pics you've provided, but we know nothing of your tank? Parameters? Age? etc...... Also, clams come in a wide assortment of colors.
As far as all that goes I am not asking about my tank. I am not asking about the light itself. Thank you for answering my question. I just wanted to know if the clam looked good or was browning out. Light measurements below. My parameters are fine. I am aware they use light and eat phytoplankton and zooplankton. I just spent over a c note on it.. I know how to keep it alive.. but thanks anyway.

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry dude but you are very confusing. In first post you said its starting to turn brown. Then you say it was already brown when you bought it? So the point of the entire post is why is your clam brown? or you bought a brown clam and assume it will change color? then you say they brown out with too much light. So you basically answered your own question?
First: I am 42. It's ma'am to you and not dude.
Second: I ask if it was browning out.
Third: I had to answer my own question, as there was no suitable response at the time.
Fourth: I am not going to buy a thing off this site, so quit questioning me about my parameters and set up unless I ask a question.

Thank You.

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it looked different in the LFS under whatever lights and spectrum they were running.. Probably designed to make the livestock really pop in color. And now it doesn't look like it did under the DT lights of the OP

welcome to the club
Nah. Lfs that is Fully staffed with highly educated people, employee invested, patron supported store that has an extensive history working with a variety of livestock and has knowledge of endangered species, keeps up with scientific studies and is dang near next door to a game warden.. high quality stuff. They know what they are doing and are the main suppliers of rare exotics that can order whatever I ask for. I trust these suppliers with my requests and they answer questions knowledgeable and matter of fact. Just really busy and write offs might happen, I saw the clam and decided it would be fun to research and care for. So I thought hey ok I will try and ask a few sociable questions as part of the hobby... Here... Research is part of the salt water hobby. Don't misconstrue my ignorance for a gripe or a reflection of where I got it..

OP
OP
F

Fennel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. Lfs that is Fully staffed with highly educated people, employee invested, patron supported store that has an extensive history working with a variety of livestock and has knowledge of endangered species, keeps up with scientific studies and is dang near next door to a game warden.. high quality stuff. They know what they are doing and are the main suppliers of rare exotics that can order whatever I ask for. I trust these suppliers with my requests and they answer questions knowledgeable and matter of fact. Just really busy and write offs might happen, I saw the clam and decided it would be fun to research and care for. So I thought hey ok I will try and ask a few sociable questions as part of the hobby... Here... Research is part of the salt water hobby. Don't misconstrue my ignorance for a gripe or a reflection of where I got it..
Oh and also. I am not looking to sell anything on here either. Not that anyone ask.. just here to study.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That clam looks fine to me.
It’s when the mantle starts to fade slowly to white, that’s a problem, too less light.

Just leave him, they do hate so much being moved.
Put him in the final spot and don’t touch him.

While not a predominant filter feeder, nonetheless like to pull phytoplankton from the column.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clam looks ok. They are fairly difficult to photograph. Parameters are significant in the saltwater hobby. You should research what good ones are, why, and how to maintain them. Not selling anything, just giving you advice on maintaining a saltwater aquarium.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh??

All I am saying is the lights at the LFS are different and livestock will look different when you take it home because you don't have the exact same lights and spectrum and par in your tank as the LFS.

Just a visual thing our eye perceive.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 44 47.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 49 53.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 21 22.8%
  • None.

Votes: 24 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 9.8%
Back