Maxima Clam

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I need some help, my lfs has a small maxima clam (wish I would've taken a picture of it) for sale and I would love to get it though I have a few questions and would like some advice. My tank is almost a year old, running a strip of LEDs (though working on an upgrade for them), and my tank is stable, salinity 1.026, nitrates 10 ppm, 468 cal and 9.6 DKH. Tank size is 120 gal with a 30 gal sump though everything is being upgraded to a 220 with a 40 gal sump in the next 6 months.

My questions:
1. do you think my tank is ready?
2. what do clams eat (I know they filter feed but what do they eat)
3. any advice is welcome

SDReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Your tank seems to be ready, but I wouldn't get one if you're going to be moving it to a new tank in the next 6 months.
2. They are mainly photosynthetic, and also consume nitrates from the water.
3. Make sure that you look for pyramid snails, because they can be a huge problem if one gets into your system.

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank should be fine for a clam. Make sure to place it high up in the aquarium so it can get sufficient light. If the clam is larger then 2" you dont need to worry about feeding it. You can use a liquid invert food if you do want to feed, but clam will get its nutrition from its zooanthallae. Be sure to put it in a spot that is flat so it can open fully and it will attach itself to that location so bear that in mind.

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey reefers,

I need some help, my lfs has a small maxima clam (wish I would've taken a picture of it) for sale and I would love to get it though I have a few questions and would like some advice. My tank is almost a year old, running a strip of LEDs (though working on an upgrade for them), and my tank is stable, salinity 1.026, nitrates 10 ppm, 468 cal and 9.6 DKH. Tank size is 120 gal with a 30 gal sump though everything is being upgraded to a 220 with a 40 gal sump in the next 6 months.

My questions:
1. do you think my tank is ready?
2. what do clams eat (I know they filter feed but what do they eat)
3. any advice is welcome
You mention a strip of led for lighting. What do you have?
Maximas need a lot of light

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention a strip of led for lighting. What do you have?
Maximas need a lot of light
It's a fluval LED strip, forget what one but I know it's meant for corals, was going to put the clam up high

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna wager to guess that you’ll need stronger lights to support a maxima clam. Many of those big box pet store LED striplights (Fluval & Current) use 0.3 watt LED diodes which would be woefully inadequate for the 24” height of your 120 gallon tank, regardless of how high you put the clam up in the rockwork.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m gonna wager to guess that you’ll need stronger lights to support a maxima clam. Many of those big box pet store LED striplights (Fluval & Current) use 0.3 watt LED diodes which would be woefully inadequate for the 24” height of your 120 gallon tank, regardless of how high you put the clam up in the rockwork.

I believe what I have is the A3995 Model of the Reef 2.0 fluval light strips

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the par readings that I dug up based on review of your lights. Again, I think you’ll need to upgrade your lights in order to support a maxima clam in your 24” deep tank.

Fluval Marine & Reef 2.0 PAR ratings (as advertised by the manufacturer) are as follows:

376 @ depth of 3″ (76 mm)
222 @ depth of 6″ (15 cm)
90 @ depth of 12″ (30.5 cm)
47 @ depth of 18″ (46 cm)

Here is the full review...

https://reefs.com/2015/11/05/fluval-marine-reef-led-2-0-review/

Shigshwa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those PAR numbers are true, then you'd have to place it within 5 inches of the lights. Tank parameters are fine, lighting will need an upgrade unless you don't mind it sitting at the tippy top of your tank.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Light is not capable of Supporting a maxima clam in that tank. Nor other clams.

Patience. Wait for the next tank.
You’ll probably want 150+ par for a maxima. I wouldn’t do it with less than 200 par just to be sure. Other clams seem to be ok in the 150 par at ten hours.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That Light is not capable of Supporting a maxima clam in that tank. Nor other clams.

Patience. Wait for the next tank.
You’ll probably want 150+ par for a maxima. I wouldn’t do it with less than 200 par just to be sure. Other clams seem to be ok in the 150 par at ten hours.
I was planning on going to the ai Hydra either single puck or the 26s

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't recommend anyone buying a "small" clam if you're not versed in taking care of them at that size which is not like taking care of a medium to large clam. Also as mentioned they have a higher lighting requirement, now does that mean they'll die without great PAR?...not necessarily but don't think it will look the way it did when you first bought it under subpar fixtures. I've had clams drastically change look depending on the lighting.

OP
OP
Steven91

Steven91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just double check the specs on the lights at the depth of the tank.
Ai has pretty darn good specs listed.

I know BRS did an overview of the single hydra and that proved really useful and its why im leaning towards it

needbiggertanks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'd wait until after the tank and light upgrades. Upgrading to a new tank may cause a mini cycle that a small clam may not be able to deal with. Also, why light acclimate twice? Im also not especially excited about the light you currently have. The clam will probably not do well under it.

Otherwise, for small clams, i feed my tank with coral smoothie with a dose of selcon with all pumps off so my clams and non photosynthic corals get time to ingest some. I know some particles are too large for my clams but on a 2.5" maxima ive gotten 3 new sets of scutes, 5mm of new shell growth on my 3.5" hippopus, and 3mm of new shell growth on my 3" deresa in 2 months.

Little clams can go down hill fast, but they tell you when they're unhappy. You'll do better spending a good amount of time observing them. Best of luck on ur decision, and ur clam, and ur upgrade...

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back