Maxima not extending Mantle, Maxima next to it is.

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clams. One I have had for a year and one is a week old. The new clam is about 6-7" or so. It is open and reacts to light but does not extend it's mantle. My clam I have had for longer has it's mantle fully extended. They are right next to each other.

I have no fish that nip at clams, and have seen no evidence of pyramid snails.

Both clams are maxima's placed on some small rock at the bottom of the fish tank.

My nutrient levels were a bit low (0 phosphate 0 nitrate) but I have backed off a touch on carbon dosing and added some more amino's daily. CA, Alk, pH, Iodine, etc are all good. My magnesium was a little elevated at 1400.

Any advice?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clams. One I have had for a year and one is a week old. The new clam is about 6-7" or so. It is open and reacts to light but does not extend it's mantle. My clam I have had for longer has it's mantle fully extended. They are right next to each other.

I have no fish that nip at clams, and have seen no evidence of pyramid snails.

Both clams are maxima's placed on some small rock at the bottom of the fish tank.

My nutrient levels were a bit low (0 phosphate 0 nitrate) but I have backed off a touch on carbon dosing and added some more amino's daily. CA, Alk, pH, Iodine, etc are all good. My magnesium was a little elevated at 1400.

Any advice?

Google pinched mantle disease to rule that out.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you.

In PM the mantle still comes out of the shell. In my clam that is affected the mantle is not extending past the shell at all. Fully inside.

I am sure nothing is nipping at it. The clam a half inch a way has been fully open every day for a year. That also leads me to believe it is not to much water current.

OP
OP
P

pledosophy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about shutting down some flow?

Sure don't want the carbon to pull out all your nutrients... ;Nailbiting
I tried turning off the two powerheads for a few days and it had no affect. Do you think it would take more than 2 days for it to open with low flow.

I can't keep the powerheads off to long because of the sticks. Also the smaller clam is right next to it, fully open.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures?
Obviously the new one is sick. You need to determine what the problem is, and if it is an infectious problem. QT new clams, especially wild caught clams is really important or else you may loose all the clams that you have.
Determine if it have a Pyramid infestation, or Pinch mantel disease. These need to be treat and can be treat successfully. Here are links to articles I wrote about these two treatable disease of clams.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back