Maxima Placement Question

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I got a Maxima on Saturday, the mantle has extended a little bit but not fully. I have him in a deep sand bed so very stable. No way this is going to move. I have it kind of level on the sand but noticed on one end of the clam down low is a slightly pink red area, was not sure if that was the start of the foot and if I need to angle that end down into the sand?

I can get another pick if needs be but the part I am talking about is on the left as you look at the pick on the end. You can see it unless I took a another shot.

DSC_0318.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Agree with @DSC reef on new clam growth, health, and the tip with regards to looking at the shell. I do this about once a week if not more after lights out. Easier to see.

I also agree @reef lover on the rock instead of sand. I do not have a lot of experience with clams but I recently picked up two maxima's from Pac East. First one was one of the larger ones they sold this year. I figured larger, healthier, gives me a first timer more room to error. I placed it on an older frag disc and it has been pretty happy. Never moved on its one other than rotational or so it seems. Firm, in place, and the tangs, snails, or urchin do not move it.

I recently picked up a smaller golden clam. Again from Pac East, and this little fella is a pain. I've placed it on a rock. It moved and landed on its side. I didn't have another frag circular disc so I then made a platform by gluing rubble together. That lasted about a day or two before it got knocked over or moved. Adjusted it again, placed some rocks for stability, about a week later or so, back to odd position and leaning somewhat on its side. Still has growth patterns. Still has full mantel extension. Just can't seem to find a place it likes to establish its things that it grows to hold it in place. In fact yesterday a snail moved under it.

In any case they do sort of guide you. However, we do have to provide the foundation for it to hold. Once it likes it then it will adjust and set.

DuckSlayer627

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantle is probably not open all the way because of the hermits crawling all around it. Once they eat all the little bits of algae on the shell and leave it alone it should extend out fully.

OP
OP
ShaggyRS6

ShaggyRS6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mantle is probably not open all the way because of the hermits crawling all around it. Once they eat all the little bits of algae on the shell and leave it alone it should extend out fully.
Thats exactly what’s happening , it opened a lot more today!

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 59 29.8%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 71 35.9%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 16.7%
  • Other

Votes: 58 29.3%
Back