Maxspect gyre 300s in reverse?

el aguila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those of you who have maxspect 300 series gyres, do any of you switch back and forth between forward and reverse?

If so, have you had any issues with doing this long term.

I’m wanting to mount one on the back of my tank and run it forward for 3 minutes, possibly 1 minute rest, 3 minutes in reverse, and then another minute rest.

I have a space in back of my tank between the rock and glass.

Even if I don’t get the same flow in between forward and reverse that really isn’t a big deal to me. I have softies and NPS corals, so I want good flow, but I’m not looking for SPS type flow.

If possible, I really don’t want to run two different pumps. I spent some time searching, but really couldn’t find any information from someone who has experience running a gyre pump in both directions.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run mine in alternating gyre mode for many months. It actually works better than running it in one direction all the time because it helps the pump remain debris free.

You can't do rest. You could turn it off part of a day in the custom programming. I do not recall how many steps that will hold.
You can set ramp up time, ramp down time and power in each direction.

OP
OP
el aguila

el aguila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much for the reply!!

Not having a pump off for a minute definitely isn’t a deal breaker.

I just figured that the gyre current would continue to run from it’s own inertia for a few seconds just take advantage of it.

I would think that having a long ramp down and ramp up would pretty much function the same.

OP
OP
el aguila

el aguila

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run mine in alternating gyre mode for many months. It actually works better than running it in one direction all the time because it helps the pump remain debris free.

You can't do rest. You could turn it off part of a day in the custom programming. I do not recall how many steps that will hold.
You can set ramp up time, ramp down time and power in each direction.

Did you get the alternating impeller/cover kit for running the pump in alternating mode from CoralVue?

If not, do you get much flow out of the pump when it is in reverse mode?

The CoralVue YouTube video makes it sound like you turbulence when the impellers are run in reverse.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mount my pumps high on the sides. They have the same impellers in them as shipped. They did come with impellers for the opposite direction but I have never used them. In forward mode they shoot water across the top of the water. In reverse they shoot the water downward at a 45 degree angle in a turbulent stream without much power.
I have always run 2 mounted across from each other.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 40 52.6%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 19 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.2%
Back