Maxspect Jump Blue 65w review(?)

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up the MJ-165 Jump
LED from Maxspect and it’s over my 40GAL breeder. Moving from a Noopsyche K7 Pro II, I was worried that my corals and nem would reach out but they’re all open and not stretching. Coverage is much better than the Noopsyche and blues are 20,000K. If you like moonlights, the lights syncs and mimics the current moon cycle and adjusts lights accordingly.

App kinda sucks though and the light has a few different connection modes such as connecting to your router or as an AP connecting to the light directly but it is a bit of a pain to connect. Best parts of the app is that the way you adjusts lights is via slider, has easy setup modes (SPS/LPS, mixed reef or FOWLR) and that if you create an account and link your light in the router mode, you can scan QR codes from other users or Maxspect and it will automatically adjust the settings.

General impressions after a week of use are positive. My corals seem much happier under this light and I hope to see them grow because they didn’t respond to the last light very well. I plan on getting another light for even coverage and for $279 (before tax and has the arm), I believe that’s a very reasonable price. They have it for cheaper but it’s light only and I believe they have a hanging kit sold separately. Next challenge is figuring out how to combine both lights under AP mode.

Current corals: 2 zoa frags, GSP rock, Duncan, war coral, stylophora, frogspawn and a very small mushroom rock. Some pics below.

19394929-C662-4EA8-B7F7-F435CA01C7FD.jpeg AF62E510-9B0F-4236-AC2F-E65FE336163D.jpeg C63332A2-1FBF-4973-85DE-2F5F130BA7D3.jpeg 881968CB-6ACB-4F29-BEA0-FB06C27EE367.jpeg 5F0532F4-5DE4-407B-8A12-B16A914B4ECA.jpeg DE293B67-F390-43AC-9CAB-7970C83F1E4B.jpeg 312A0A80-EEDB-4692-9EAF-098A91132435.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into this light. Only thing that kind of turned me away were the reviews saying it was a total pain to get it set up on Wifi
Besides the pain of setting it up on router mode, it’s a great light for a great price. I’m looking forward to getting the second light. My next question is that when I go to a 75 in the near future is if I’ll need 3 or some other lights.

vtecintegra

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the non blue on a QT and really light the light. I would have put four on my DT, but the app ticked me off. I think I've spent 40 hours trying to get the wifi to work. Eventually I gave up and got it working directly connected via my phone.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the non blue on a QT and really light the light. I would have put four on my DT, but the app ticked me off. I think I've spent 40 hours trying to get the wifi to work. Eventually I gave up and got it working directly connected via my phone.
Yeah, the app is stupid and it’s much better to just connect it to your phone instead of dealing with it through internet although you do lose the QR functionality. I’ll do another review thing come 3 months. I plan on getting the next light this month. I currently have a Fluval Marine 2.0 light that covers the back of the tank but with 2 maxspect lights, I could probably ditch it.

OP
OP
C

CamoFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E880CBA4-21FD-4564-B09E-3DFD113FE0CD.jpeg

Was messing with my light to make an attempt at making an actual schedule. If anyone has the same light and has a different (or better) schedule, add it to the thread.

His Coral Highness

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the pain of setting it up on router mode, it’s a great light for a great price. I’m looking forward to getting the second light. My next question is that when I go to a 75 in the near future is if I’ll need 3 or some other lights.
Yes I will still consider it when I go to upgrade. I'm thinking either that or the AI Hydra 32. But that won't be for a while lol

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Here’s where I’ve landed with my schedule after about a week of playing around…LOVE the colors, HATE the app!!
E6C30C81-347E-4935-9154-11EBFBAD5EA8.png

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Has anyone figured out how to delete saved profiles?? I’ve literally created 10 different profiles in an attempt to dial it in…pretty annoyed i can’t figure out how to remove the ones i will never use again!

bigGouda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I connected the device not on wifi but unsure if the profile I uploaded in in effect

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi I am having issues connecting the app, any tips?
The only thing i know (not certain) of involving wifi is you need to be connected to the 2.4 ghz side of your router, not 5…exactly how you do that, i don’t remember. I didn’t have to mess with any of that setting up my jump light but it was a pita!! Good luck

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently picked up the MJ-165 Jump
LED from Maxspect and it’s over my 40GAL breeder. Moving from a Noopsyche K7 Pro II, I was worried that my corals and nem would reach out but they’re all open and not stretching. Coverage is much better than the Noopsyche and blues are 20,000K. If you like moonlights, the lights syncs and mimics the current moon cycle and adjusts lights accordingly.

App kinda sucks though and the light has a few different connection modes such as connecting to your router or as an AP connecting to the light directly but it is a bit of a pain to connect. Best parts of the app is that the way you adjusts lights is via slider, has easy setup modes (SPS/LPS, mixed reef or FOWLR) and that if you create an account and link your light in the router mode, you can scan QR codes from other users or Maxspect and it will automatically adjust the settings.

General impressions after a week of use are positive. My corals seem much happier under this light and I hope to see them grow because they didn’t respond to the last light very well. I plan on getting another light for even coverage and for $279 (before tax and has the arm), I believe that’s a very reasonable price. They have it for cheaper but it’s light only and I believe they have a hanging kit sold separately. Next challenge is figuring out how to combine both lights under AP mode.

Current corals: 2 zoa frags, GSP rock, Duncan, war coral, stylophora, frogspawn and a very small mushroom rock. Some pics below.

19394929-C662-4EA8-B7F7-F435CA01C7FD.jpeg AF62E510-9B0F-4236-AC2F-E65FE336163D.jpeg C63332A2-1FBF-4973-85DE-2F5F130BA7D3.jpeg 881968CB-6ACB-4F29-BEA0-FB06C27EE367.jpeg 5F0532F4-5DE4-407B-8A12-B16A914B4ECA.jpeg DE293B67-F390-43AC-9CAB-7970C83F1E4B.jpeg 312A0A80-EEDB-4692-9EAF-098A91132435.jpeg

Nice to see someone using this light, I have always been curious about it.

I just wanted to let you know they are on big discount at coralvue on maxspect including the jump lights ($182) and they have the mount for $17 looks like. Seems the jump comes in two different versions.

YoubetyourWrasse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The lights themselves are good, the online connectivity is complete garbage though...probably great for the seldom few that can actually connect with it on a legacy router. I have a netgear nighthawk, I have tried completely turning 5ghz off (which is totally unacceptable), have two separate named networks 2.4 & 5ghz, guest network 2.4 ghz, and tried all 2.4 channels 1, 6, & 11. I am using a samsung s21 ultra I might add. Losing QR functionability, and linking multiple lights to a single light...etc., is very disappointing.

I am running all three in AP mode which I have to individually program each light identically. Once you transmit the setting they are good. You have to change mode by holding B for 6seconds and then should flash green (It flashes blue when in online mode). You might need to hold B 3 sec again to broadcast the signal to your phones available networks. It will be (MJ165 bunch of number and letters) The passcode for a light is 123456789. You must connect indiviudally to each light this way if you have multiples. Luckily, the phone saves the network name. Then you open your app with AP server selected instead of US or your respective location. Then you can go through the tedious process of programming each light and only one at a time :)

In order to attempt to connect online after they have been running in AP you have to both clear user settings and wifi settings manually (through powering the light through the respective power sequence). After this you must toggle the wifi mode by holding the B button for 6 seconds on the respective light. Prepare to be frustrated possibly not being able to connect.

If you want to check your firmware you disconnect light, then connect it holding A, one color flashes a number of times then the other. So first color four...second color four...the firmware is 4.4 and so on. You can also cycle through the debugging by pressing B, which is just testing the light functionality...however, not necessary. You can then unplug/replug to get it back to it's normal settings.

My biggest bone to pick is I am sure if you are actually able to connect with it, the app is great & functionality is solid; however, with the connectivity nightmare that ensues, I feel like they should of used bluetooth like the rest of their competitors. As many problems as we have with the Mobius app...at least we can easily connect with it lol.

Hope this provides some useful info for those interested. The bottom line is the lights are wonderful for the price. What is terrible and fairly unacceptable is the connectivity with the online portion of the app...which seems like it causes severe frustration for a majority of people (from what I have read and gathered). I refuse to hook up a second legacy router to operate a newer gen light.

Gretchacha

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the MaxSpect Jump (not the blue version) two months ago when I set up my 30G rimless Waterbox with a 24”x18” footprint and 18” depth.

Unlike some of my fellow reefers, I chose this light specifically because there are 3 systems to control the light, and I wanted this redundancy. My last light (planted aquarium) was $$$ and one year later the manufacturer (hong kong) changed the bluetooth version with an app update, rendering the light completely unable to connect. So, I wanted a light that was able to connect in multiple ways that if some firmware upgrade happened, I could still control my light. Also, I travel frequently (to Europe) and wanted to be able to control my light via the home wifi from afar, not just bluetooth, but that a third person could also access without wifi if something happened while I was gone.
Connection to wifi was easily accomplished with my mesh network Eero, it has a 20 minute pause button for the 5Gz in order to connect such devices. I had no trouble with either process from my phone when closely following the instructions.

I found the ideal mounting height from the BRS TV Investigates video, and I am pleased with the coverage for my tank size. I appreciate the mounting kit which works on rimless tanks and also AIOs. I have a minimal aesthetic and I am not mounting to my ceiling! The only negative is how far down my waterline must be for the mounting hardware to stay dry: I lose gallons of tank capacity, but I suppose it prevents accidental fish jumps and snail falls to some degree.

I did make one modification that I have done to most LED lights, and that is I added vellum over the six lenses to diffuse the light beams. Vellum is a thick translucent drafting “paper” and can be purchased by the sheet at university bookstores or art supply stores. An Itallian limoncello glass was the ideal diameter for a stencil. I used superglue to adhere them lightly and left a tab unglued for easy removal if necessary.

I very much appreciate the acclimation mode. You can actually modify your settings and continue with the same acclimation scheme, which is nice!
I wish reef lights and accessories came in silver or white, as my tank is light, not black, but this light seems unimposing while still providing good spread.

Attachments

• 4A5F267C-FEC8-4238-8396-45A38581B143.jpeg
    4A5F267C-FEC8-4238-8396-45A38581B143.jpeg
    123.1 KB · Views: 101
  • AF9A7160-5601-49F2-86C3-0314D4AA1438.jpeg
    AF9A7160-5601-49F2-86C3-0314D4AA1438.jpeg
    114.3 KB · Views: 203
  • F9B263B0-75E5-4C80-9BA6-27713983D772.jpeg
    F9B263B0-75E5-4C80-9BA6-27713983D772.jpeg
    248.9 KB · Views: 207

Reef Psychology

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a good light overall, but it definitely has a few shortcomings. I didn't have much issue growing SPS, LPS or softies under this light. The spread is ok, but it definitely has a punch PAR wise. It really surprised me. I got the new diffuser due to color separation - using both plastic sheets. Now the shimmer is tamped downat about a 15% reduction in PAR, which is no issue. I replaced it with two AI Prime 16HD's over a 24" tank and moved it to my little 10g Nuvo coral QT/frag tank. Had to really lower my settings. No issues with wifi or setting it up though. No clue why others are having issues.

If anyone wants my settings that seemed to work for SPS or the Frag tank settings I'll upload the QR codes on Sunday.

Edit: Sorry it's the Blue version fitted with diffuser.

JavaJacketOC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the MaxSpect Jump (not the blue version) two months ago when I set up my 30G rimless Waterbox with a 24”x18” footprint and 18” depth.

Unlike some of my fellow reefers, I chose this light specifically because there are 3 systems to control the light, and I wanted this redundancy. My last light (planted aquarium) was $$$ and one year later the manufacturer (hong kong) changed the bluetooth version with an app update, rendering the light completely unable to connect. So, I wanted a light that was able to connect in multiple ways that if some firmware upgrade happened, I could still control my light. Also, I travel frequently (to Europe) and wanted to be able to control my light via the home wifi from afar, not just bluetooth, but that a third person could also access without wifi if something happened while I was gone.
Connection to wifi was easily accomplished with my mesh network Eero, it has a 20 minute pause button for the 5Gz in order to connect such devices. I had no trouble with either process from my phone when closely following the instructions.

I found the ideal mounting height from the BRS TV Investigates video, and I am pleased with the coverage for my tank size. I appreciate the mounting kit which works on rimless tanks and also AIOs. I have a minimal aesthetic and I am not mounting to my ceiling! The only negative is how far down my waterline must be for the mounting hardware to stay dry: I lose gallons of tank capacity, but I suppose it prevents accidental fish jumps and snail falls to some degree.

I did make one modification that I have done to most LED lights, and that is I added vellum over the six lenses to diffuse the light beams. Vellum is a thick translucent drafting “paper” and can be purchased by the sheet at university bookstores or art supply stores. An Itallian limoncello glass was the ideal diameter for a stencil. I used superglue to adhere them lightly and left a tab unglued for easy removal if necessary.

I very much appreciate the acclimation mode. You can actually modify your settings and continue with the same acclimation scheme, which is nice!
I wish reef lights and accessories came in silver or white, as my tank is light, not black, but this light seems unimposing while still providing good spread.

Looks like the non-blue version of the light still gives a nice crip blue color, is this in the 14-16k range for the light?

JavaJacketOC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to see someone using this light, I have always been curious about it.

I just wanted to let you know they are on big discount at coralvue on maxspect including the jump lights ($182) and they have the mount for $17 looks like. Seems the jump comes in two different versions.

Has anyone ordered from these links? Looks like the the Blue light was sold out but the non-blue was not and it let me order. However it doesn't say if it comes with the tank attachment arm. I see there's a link for that as well but Coralvue doesn't offer the arm for sale. It looks like all other retailers include the arm with the light.

Ox100

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ordered from these links? Looks like the the Blue light was sold out but the non-blue was not and it let me order. However it doesn't say if it comes with the tank attachment arm. I see there's a link for that as well but Coralvue doesn't offer the arm for sale. It looks like all other retailers include the arm with the light.
it does come with the arm

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 79.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.1%
Back