Maxspect Recurve vs New Nanobox Design Fixutures with Mint Colored LEDS

FunaiReefSystems

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on which I should go for for my new 35" long tank? I think its 25"x18"x18". I love the idea of the maxspect recurve but am also interested in the Nanobox Designs Mint LEDs Dave is putting in his new fixtures...

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any thoughts on which I should go for for my new 35" long tank? I think its 25"x18"x18". I love the idea of the maxspect recurve but am also interested in the Nanobox Designs Mint LEDs Dave is putting in his new fixtures...
I guess you meant 35" x 18" x 18"? Since its not a really deep tank I would go with the Quad light from Nanobox ( DIM : 24" x 15" x 2"). Check out the PAR readings ( Dave did it open air only). I had a Retro kit - same as the DUO - for a BC32 and it was about 4x brighter/par than stock tank led light. The Bluefish controller phone app is really nice & easy to understand, plus there are presets for : SPS+ , SPS 14K, LPS+, & Mixed Reef. With the presets you don't have to mess around with the color control sliders and ramp up/down, amount of time and intensities - all is taken care of if you use a preset. Pricing for the Quad is $725 (i think) still cheaper than the Max recurve 24" &36". Plus I think the Bluefish app is better & easier than the maxspecht. Only thing Bluefish doesn't have is an acclimation mode . For me it wasn't a deal breaker.

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I Personally love the no white LEDs. What about you?
I like a little white thrown in so the tank doesn't look too blue. Another great feature on Bluefish is "photo mode" - that's when you want to take a pix or shoot video of tank but you don't want it off color - too blue- u can set the color sliders - especially a little extra white - and save for photo. Once ur finished just click the reset button and lights go back the way you originally set them.

underwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the Recurve on the a 40 gal breeder this week and have been happy with it.

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the Recurve on the a 40 gal breeder this week and have been happy with it.
RU using the phone app with it? the Recurve is already expensive plus if you want to use the Syna -G app you have to spend an extra $100 to get the ICV6 controller for wireless. For me I'm not impressed with the app - android one in google play store only gets a 2.9/5 rating, lots of negative reviews. But that's just my opinion.

underwood

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah - I am using the app (iPhone). The ICV6 was only an extra $50.

The app UI isn't great, but I am able to do what I need to do. To be honest, I have yet to encounter an aquarium product's mobile or web app that was well done. They've have all been bare bones and lacking in the user experience department.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back